What's new

Can you pick what gender your child will have? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm not claiming that timing of sex before ovulation will magically give you the gender you prefer. There are certainly better ways to achieve this (such as the seperating of sperm). And if you're really dead set on a specific gender, it'll probably be worth it to pay someone to help you out. I figure, though, that timing sex doesn't cost anything (aside from the effort of having to learn when ovulation is probably going to occur). It certainly can't hurt :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You're a 100% right Sheila.
I'm sorry, my post was meant as a slight caution, but not to wipe that suggestion off the table. Now I read it again, it comes over as too negative perhaps. Sheila's advice is very valuable if you're not going to take excessive measurements like "enriching" your sperm or aborting children with the wrong gender (like seems to be happening in one country of the world that I know of).

Cees

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed that the thread title says "gender". Well, that totally changes the subject. :)

The question can now be: "if we have a baby girl, can we change her to be of the male gender?". That is, do something to make the girl behave like a boy? Or vice versa: Make the little boy behave like a girl (a la the Peter Pan thread)?

So far, the answer is a resounding "NO!". Dressing up a boy in girls clothing and treating him like a girl will do diddly squat (except get the poor kid beat up or ostracized by his peers). As soon as puberty happens (and often before), the kid will reject the feminine/masculine trappings and will feel "wrong".

Current evidence suggests that sexual orientation is determined in the womb. Or at least, the brain structures are in place by then. There have been a few cases where the hormonal surge at the expected time did not take place, and the person's brain defaults to the female sex, although in outward appearances the person is a male. And of course, the opposite has happened too.

Basically, there isn't any way to change a person's gender with current technology.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Dave meant "choosing the sex of his next child" and wasn't broaching the topic of gender re-assignment.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
lol actually my original title of the thread was something like
"how can you determine a sex child" or something goofy like that.
One of the admins changed it. Now it sounds kinda funny to.
Oh well you cant win.
SO far my research has shown that the best way is to try 3 or 4 days BEFORE ovulation. Well last night would have been it, and we tried.....
Lets see what happens.
(crossing my fingers)
I guess Ill know in a couple weeks or so:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Guys For All Your Help!
Ill keep you posted!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The problem is, is that we have 2 BOYS.
On a semi-side note... I remember reading that if you have 2 kids of the same sex.. the odds of having that same sex again is something like 80% (naturally, of course, without lasers and centrifuges). I'm not sure why... but, just ask my parents.. they kept trying for a girl and wound up with 7 boys!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Dave is correct. Statistically, your best chance of having children of both genders (one of each, not hermaphrodites... it appears that everything needs clarified in this thread) is with the gender of the first two children being opposite. If they're not, your chances go down drastically. Of course I dont mean to dash your hopes. Assuming you do conceive now, will you attempt to determine the gender of the child, or will you just wait until its born? How long does that take?

On a side note, sperm being obviously closely related to the act of intercourse itself, I find it very ammusing that the male sperm dont "last" as long as the female sperm. It appears that they tend to shoot off right away, but after a a short period of time are useless, while the female sperm last a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks