What's new

Can you name episodes of TV shows that have been edited on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
On the Garfield and Friends DVD set, the title "Orson's Farm" replaces the original "U.S. Acres" title on all of the "U.S. Acres" cartoons.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if they're edited or not but several episodes of Charlie's Angels S2 appear to be time sped. I'm not even sure if whole episodes are but certain scenes like a couple of car chases here and there definately are.

Randy

Mark To

Supporting Actor

I think the problem is that with these 70s videotaped shows, they were all mastered on 2 inch. This format has not been in popular usage for at least 20 years. Long ago, all of these shows were transferred down to 1 inch and then subsequently to Betacam. The problem arises if they were edited at the time of the first transfer. I'm sure none of these studios, least of all Columbia, is going to go through the trouble and expense of going back to the 2 inch tapes. There are fewer and fewer of these machines around anymore and the costs of transfers have risen. So if there were edits made on the first go around, that is what we are stuck with.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
You guys had me a little worried about edits to TV shows. I just had to go back and check my Season 1 of Stargate SG-1 to make sure that a "syndication edit" that was done to one of the episodes had not been included on the DVD:

In the episode "Within the Serpent's Grasp" Jack's line of "You think it gets Showtime?" regarding the long-range visual communications device was edited to "Mmm, Goa'uld TV" for syndication. Thankfully, the original line was restored on the DVD.

However, some of the episodes on several Stargate SG-1 discs use the syndication version of the opening credit sequence, which was not even produced by the guys that make the show - it was made by someone specifically for syndication, and does not belong on these discs. I don't understand why they would go back and edit in this opening, since the show was never run in widescreen in syndication, but is widescreen on the DVD's.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There are services that can transfer 2" tape to modern formats. Thus, shows like "The Judy Garland Show" and "Laugh-In" can be mastered on to new tapes to make DVDs of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks