Can you mix speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Jones, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Douglas Jones

Douglas Jones Auditioning

I want to buy two yahama floor speakers but the center channel speaker for the Yahama wont fit on my bottom shelf below the tv. If I put it on top of the tv it sets about a
    foot an 1/2 above the tv. Can I use another brand for a center channel speaker or will it work above the tv at that hieght?

Thanks in advance for the help
    This aite is great

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

No it is illegal to mix speaker brands according to FCC regulation 14-332. I recomend you buy a new TV and a new entertainment center. LOL
    Just kidding, yes it is prefered that all 3 front speakers are simmilar or "timbre matched" but if you cant make it work, dont fret too much [untill the upgrade bug hits you]. I suggest you look for a center that will fit that has the same audio characteristics as your yamahas.

just my $.02

3. Glenn^Mil

Glenn^Mil Auditioning

Douglas,

I agree with Geno.The tonal qualities are the most important aspect. Choosing a speaker from the same manufacturer will (most probably) solve the tonal issues. Alternatively, can the centre speaker be angled downward's to the listening position, to accomodate the height above the TV.

Glenn