What's new

Can you mix Ram? (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to add another 256 MB to my PC and I just wanted to be sure about something: Right now I have 256MB of PC-2700 Samsung Ram. I know that the new module also has to be PC-2700 but my question is, does it also have to be Samsung? I was looking at the prices of Crucial, Kingston, Corsair and they're all quite reasonable so I'm wondering if mixing Ram brands is going to cause any problems at all. Thanks.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I don't think it would cause any problems. I've got a couple of thrown together machines that I just used whatever RAM I could find. It reads it all fine and I've never had any RAM related problems that I know of.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'd be more worried about matching up speeds than manufaturers. Mixing Samsung and Crucial should be fine if they're the same speed.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd also check the CAS latency of the Samsung BEFORE you but the other ram. If you have a Samsung that's CAS2 and buy a cheap stick of ram with a CAS3 rating you'll be wasting the better ram..

B

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
And as far as speed goes, another stick of 2700 is fine as far as I know, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks