Can you leave a sub on all the time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitch Stevens, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Ok. I've had a 12" powered sub for 3 years now, and ever since the day that I receieved it, I have left it on "on" every single minute of the day. I have never turned it off. It has an auto switch, but I don't use it, and it has never hurt the sub.

I have never had any type of air conditioner, or cooler to cool the room in the summer time, and the sub has gotten so hot, that if you touch it, it will blister your fingers.

Anyway, I still don't have any type of cooling system for the summer, and I am getting an SVS 16-46 PCi very soon, and I was wondering, if I could do the same thing with the SVS. Are they more sensitive? I don't want to ruin a very good sub. Do any of you SVS owners out there leave it on, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I've always heard that turning something on and off is worse than keeping it on or off (in a stable state). My SVS is in auto mode right now though, basically because I presume it takes less power this way - and I'm not the one paying the bill.
    Hopefully someone else comments on the situation. I may keep my always on as well (like I did with my previous sub).
    -ELmO[​IMG]

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Do what your mfgr tells you to do, someday you may want some warranty work done.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

5. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

as was mentioned above, individual components (capacitors, resistors, transistors) do have a certain lifespan and heat definitely shortens that lifespan....

i would recommend to use the auto position or if possible use a power controller with switched outlets and have your sub come on with the rest of your system....

another problem that is not addressed here is that the individual components are getting harder and harder to find...i work at an electronics distributor and in addition to pro audio we also sell capacitors, resistors, etc...

that part of our business has declined from about 20% of total revenues to less than 1% today....alot of home audio/video equipment is considered as disposable....so if you need a capacitor to fix your amplifier, it might not be available.....usually you need to replace the entire board....and that can sometimes cost more than the amp (or whatever) is worth....

russ

6. Mitch Stevens

Well the one I have right now, has an auto switch, but it takes so long to "wake up" from it's sleep. Also, when it doesn't feel any bass during the movie, it will fall asleep again, and then, when actual bass does occur, it makes a loud boom, and then continues on with the bass. I don't like it that way. That's the only reason I keep it on all the time.

Does the SVS wake up immediately, or does it also take as long?

7. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

is the switch accessible?...it would be worth it to just walk over and turn the sub on everytime that you power up your system....less electricity used and not overheating like you mentioned...

russ

8. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Mitch,

have you tried recalibrating the sub with the input from your amp higher and the sub's gain lower? This often helps with subs that "fall asleep" during movies. I have my SVS turn on with the rest of my system, so I have not experimented with the auto feature -- though I've read plenty of SVS threads, especially prior to purchase, and don't recall it being an issue.

HTH,

-Robb

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mitch you also didn't state how your gear is setup and I would recommend to set all speakers small, the sub/lfe from the AVR to 0, and then set the gain/volume control on the sub at about 25% and check your calibration with a test disc and a spl meter. It might also simply be the AVR you own as some of these do have a very weak pre-out (all my former Pioneers did though the old 606S wasn't so bad as the DPL models of the past). Please state the gear you are using, about the level you listen to (assuming you understand this if not get a Video Essentials DVD, SPL meter at Radio Shack, calibrate all speakers to 75 db reading from title 3-8 of VE. If this is the level you normally listen at then this is reference level but if you listen at a lower volume {just do another sweep and subtract this level from 75 and this is what you might actually be listening to which is under reference level} then tell us this as well as this might explain why your sub keeps cutting out).

10. Mitch Stevens

Robert Gaither: I have my two main speakers set to Large, because they are very large. They have 15" woofers, and they go way deeper in bass than my 12" wimpy sub! Other than that, I have all my speakers set to small.

I'm using a Philips 970 Receiver, which I believe is not made any more. It's like 2 years old now. It does have DTS 5.1 and it provides very nice sound quality to my speakers.

I have all my speakers calibrated to 75 dbs via Video Essentials, and my sub at that volume too. However, I never listen to movies at this volume anymore. It's way too loud. I listen to movies 11 dbs below reference. Do you think that's why my sub falls asleep?

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have an SVS 20-39PC and leave it on all the time...and never have a "fall asleep" occurance. It wakes the moment my receiver turns and stays on for several minutes after I turn off the receiver. Never any problem.
    I too run large main speakers (JBL L100) with 12" woofs but I keep those set to small and let the SVS handle all the low down work. If your mains are doing most of the low work, then you DO need another sub....and a SVS will show you some lows you never knew existed.
    It sounds as if you are running your sub a little hot in your calibrations and it really shouldn't be loudly responding to the first signal.
    You're definitely in the right place (HTF) to get an answer to anything.... but sometimes this place seems to create a need to upgrade something..LOL... hence my signature....

12. Guy Usher

Very few main speakers even with 15 inch woofers do well under 50hz, they eat lots of power as well. A single 12 inch SVS will provide you more bass than you want, setting your big mains to small will clean up your sound and reduce the power needed.
    You wont hurt anything leaving it on, I wouldnt leave it on 24/7, I would turn it on when you power up your system and turn it off that evening when you know you wont be needing it anymore.

13. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

How are you guys "Turning the sub on" with your receiver? I have an SVS as well and it has "AUTO ON" which means when it senses a sub signal it will turn on, and "ALWAYS ON" which means it's always on I presume.

Thanks,
    ELmO

14. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

ELmO,

I have a Monster power center that has timed outlets (timed to go on after the receiver is turned on) that I use to turn on the SVS and my two channel amp. Another way to do this is with a 12 volt trigger from the receiver/preamp to the amplifier. There are outlets on the back of many receivers that also do this, but do NOT use them for something like a powered subwoofer (certainly not an SVS!) or an amplifier -- they just aren't built to handle high powered gear.

-Robb

15. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have always thought of the auto option on the back of my subs to be like the standby mode on our computer. I do power off my computer daily though. I power off my subs only when we are going on a trip or in a big storm regardless of surge protection.

16. Mitch Stevens

Guy Usher

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Mitch, what I would suggest is when you get your SVS try calibrating your system with your speakers set to small. Put your SVS in the Auto mode and enjoy without any worry. I would be surprised if these decisions on your part did not do the trick for you? You should have no problem with your sub firing up and heat. You most likely will be thrilled with the performance of your speakers and letting your SVS handle the bass. Your speakers will still be plenty busy handling what will be coming there way. Its worth a try anyway. Most, but admittedly, not all like this rout.

18. Guy Usher

I left a Marantz amp on for over 7 years as the power switch was broken (would not turn off) many people advocate leaving amps on 24/7. I would check your manuel for current draw at idle and if only a few watts and you dont have a heat problem dont worry about it, sounds like you are using it most of the time anyway, may be a cross to bear.
    I leave my Rotel 985 THXmk2 on for weeks at a time (no triggers) I do shut down the Preamp by remote (thank you Rotel for no turn on thumps).
    Some amps (class A) draw as much current at idle as at full steam, I think you would notice on your power bill.
    I wouldnt loose any sleep over it, I would turn it off when leaving the house. I had a Klipsch sub once that would do what you describe, I dont remember if I had a choice with that woofer, as I think about it it was asleep always, I mean it had no power swiych, once plugged in it was on auto.
    Also owned a JBL L212 3piece system that included a powered sub that was always on, no choice, everytime the power would fliker the sub would thump, I had that setup for about 10 years. I guess it just depends on your equipment, if it gets hot turn it off. . .

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mitch, another way to connect your gear if you run your mains large is setup your AVR to mains large, center small, rears small, and no sub. Then hook your subs to the main outs (thus most likely the sub will come on and stay on since there will almost always be bass present) of course calibration might be different as you'll most likely have overlapping bass if your mains dip lower than your sub. I would agree with those suggesting to replace your sub, or at least the driver (maybe with an Adire, Stryke, or Dayton are popular with the DIY crowd but you might have to enlargen the woofer cutout) only which I recommend as a temporary solution as when you build one you can take advantage of designing for the driver selected.

20. Mitch Stevens

Robert: Thanks for the suggestions. I might actually do what you said, but for the rear speakers, like some people on here do, to have full-range rears. I'm getting an SVS really soon, and by the looks of it, putting it on Auto mode, will not be a problem for that sub. According to the tracking on the UPS page, the SVS is in Illinois....UPS is way too slow! I can't wait to get it!