Can you lay a bookshelf speaker on its side?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Barbieri, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Steve Barbieri

Steve Barbieri Auditioning

Hi,
    I have been looking for a 5.1 speaker system. I want bookshelf speakers for the fronts since I will be putting them in an existing piece of furniture. This "entertainment center" has space for front speakers, but it is only about 12 inches tall. Many of the bookshelf speakers I am investigating are taller than 12 inches...so here comes my dumb newbie question - does laying a speaker on its side affect the sound coming out of it or the sound field (?) it produces?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Should not be a problem.

But you might want to try to make "feet" to keep the cabinent off of the shelf. You may also play with stuffing blankets in behind the speaker to minimize the echos. If this works, you can later buy acoustic foam to do a more professional job.

In truth, putting the speaker on it's side does affect the soundfield a bit. But for movies, this is not a critical issue. For 2 channel music, it would be a different story, but not for movies.

3. Jerry St.Marie

If you lay them on their sides have the tweeters both facing either towards your TV or away from it. It will probably sound better if they're both on the outside.

4. Steve Barbieri

Steve Barbieri Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about feet on the sides or the positioning of the tweeters. I will be using this setup mostly for Movies, but will be listening to some music. How will 2 channel stereo be affected when listening to music? Will it make a difference if I listen to my music with 5 channel stereo?

Thanks,
    Steve

5. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

When you say that you will be placing the speakers in a piece of furniture I aasume that you mean an entertainment center? You should be aware that speakers sound best when they have room to "breathe". Placing them in an entertainment center will affect how they sound so if you have the option of placing them on stands you should consider that.

6. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Barry beat me to it.
    I'm a little concerned when you say:
    Many "entertainment centers" have "spaces" for speakers. The matching piece of cardboard that attaches to the back of the cabinet (of the ent. center) sometimes even has little perforated punch-outs for wires, etc.
    These spaces may not be ideal for speaker placement. Refer to others' comments above about laying a speaker on its side, but ideally, any speaker should be approximately at ear level (in a seated position) and out into the room (i.e. in a plane closer to the listener than the face of the TV).
    Feel free to experiment with different placements, but don't feel obligated to put your speakers in spaces in your entertainment center that appear to be designed for speakers. (I'm trying to set a record for the number of prepositions used in one paragraph. How'd I do??) [​IMG]
    JKS