Can You ID This 80s Arcade Game?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Martin, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I was with a friend of mine last night at a local entertainment establishment (mini golf, batting cages, video games, food, etc.) and as we battled on the Galaga machine, I suddenly remembered a favorite video game of mine from 20 years ago....but can't remember the name of the game!

The premise of the game was that you were in a spaceship trying to get back to earth. The joystick allowed you to move in a circle all the way around the screen, and there were "challenge" screens spaced every once in a while (sorta like Galaga). Each "stage" was called a "warp" - as in "two warps to Neptune," meaning you had to clear two screens of incoming baddies to make it to Neptune. The challenge stages (meaning enemies don't fire on you, and you see how many you can successfully shoot) came when you reached the planet. I believe this is what I would call the "second generation" of arcade video games - after Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Tempest. About the same kind of graphics quality as Dig Dug.

Argghh. Anyone have a clue?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I know exactly the game you are talking about. That was my FAVORITE game - It was very "Tron" like - I wanna say it had the word "Hexagon" in it (or something similar to that)

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

5. Michael Martin

THAT'S IT!!!

Thanks, Jason![​IMG]

6. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Ahhh, memories. I wish I could find Wizard of Wor in decent condition.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Galaga was my favorite. I remember learning a trick by shooting certain ships in a certain order and that would stop them from firing. I was able to turn over the game at that point.

Ahhh the days of old, hanging out at the local bowling alley's arcade.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Funny, I used to play both Gyruss and Time Pilot alot when I was growing up, both done by the same guy at Konami, apparently...

Jay

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

as soon as i read that i knew it was gyruss! [​IMG]

i was one of the few kids at my local arcade who rocked this game. i usually cleared all the way through at least once. it was definitely one of my all-time faves. would be neat to see if i could find it somewhere.

on a personal note, i was like one of two kids who could also solve dragon's lair. i tell ya now -- nothing pumps up a young kid's head like having the whole arcade standing behind you watching your gameplay. [​IMG]

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

OMG! I completely forgot about that game!

Sinistar was another favorite of mine.

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

You guys remember Defender...I mastered it and used to turn it over with a single quarter! [​IMG]

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Polybius!!

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Ah, Tempest was my game. It got me through many college finals. Thanks for the nostalgia.

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Personal addictive favorite was Crazy Climber...

[​IMG]

Damn, I spent a fortune in quarters on that one!

15. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

Mine was Q*bert and Mappy.

16. Michael Martin

Tempest was the first game that I really LOVED playing...Gyruss came after, and since the graphics were better (and Tempest machines were being taken out of the arcades for newer games), I made the switch.

17. Michael Martin

Here's one.

And another one.

I saw some on sale at other sites, but they're going for close to $1,200, plus shipping.

18. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

19. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I had a few favorites, including Super Mario Bros., Xevious, Dragon's Lair, and the 3-screen game Darius. Darius I could finish any path to the end on one quarter by myself; VERY difficult game, but lots of fun, and the music was addictive. Oh yeah, I also clearly remember the love I had for Street Fighter 2 ... oh, and that brings back very vivid memories of seeing somebody perform Kano's heart-rip fatality in Mortal Kombat for the first time - very shocked and amazed!

To the topic of the thread...
    I have 2 video games I can't remember the names. One was a scrolling shoot-em-up with a helicopter as your avatar, but this was no ordinary stand-in-front-of-the-console-and-move-the-joystick-around scrolling games - this was one of those you sat down in a seat, which rose up and moved side to side and tilted forward and backward as you moved the stick control - the stick was a lot like a helicopter control, I guess. I could play that game on one credit (usually I found it costing 2 or 3 quarters) for over an hour before I got tired of it.

The other game, well, I can't remember much of anything about it except it was a standard scrolling type of shoot-em-up; it had a military feel to it but it could've been partly space-based. The only thing I can distinctly recall is the percussion-like series of staccato notes at the beginning of each round - unfortunately I can't translate that very well over the web [​IMG] The reason the game sticks in my head to this day is because I won a bet with someone that I could beat a high score - the bet earned me a helicopter ride in his private copter; yes, he actually followed through, and I got to fly over Ocean City MD in the only helicopter ride I've ever had, all thanks to my prowess in this one game, whose name and details I can't even remember.

20. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

What's cool about this thread is you can quess each persons approximate age by their favourite games.