What's new

Can you IB a guitar speaker? (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
We are in process of purchasing a "new" home.Well, the room that we will be using for our projector and surround sound will have to be multi purpose and also be used for my wife's guitar practice and a few other uses. Well, the back side of this room is where my screen will be and on the other side of the screen wall is the garage.Well, its only a one car garage and we have a full basement of stuff now so the garage will mostly be used for storage so I am planning an IB system. I am still unsure of the components I will be using but a little guidance to the latest and greatest would be appreicated. I would probably want to do 2 15" drivers, the room is ( guessing here) 12' wide by 15'ish long. I say ish because, while it may very well be 15' it opens in the back with the front door and pass through to the kitchen so I loose about 3' of space which is fine because I sit about 12' from a 110' screen now. The ceiling is about 8'.anyway...

SORRY, got side tracked..

So, to conserve space I was thinking, how about I buy 2 amps, one for the IB and maybe I could purchase 1 ( or 2 if it would be better) raw guitar speakers, probably 15" here too and cut a few holes for them as well,if for no other reason than to make the room look balanced. The would fire into the garage as well but of course would not be in use with the ht ib.

Would this work or be worth my while?

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
IB's are really cool but anything that requires cutting holes in your house should be done RIGHT. So its a good thing you asked first. Better would be to read as much as possible at www.infinitelybaffled.com

A single woofer IB is never recommended. Dual 15's are generally considered the very minimum for a small like yours. Not sure what you mean by "raw guitar speakers". If you're thinking of using woofers that were designed for live guitar performances then that's a big no-no. The movies you'll be playing on this system have lower bass content than any guitar. Those woofers aren't designed for the high-excursion performance that will be required for surround sound use. And with only 2 of them, they'll be destroyed in no time. The web site above will give you all the information you need to properly design an IB to fit your needs.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Sorry if I was less than clear.What I was getting at is having raw guitar speakers in an ib fashion for use with a guitar.. not movies / music. You can buy raw guitar drivers at parts express such as this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-836

and then on the other side of the room ( one side of the screen will have the guitar IB ( if it would work) I would have regular audio drivers of a movie / music IB. Like I said, the drivers mentioned above would only be used for guitar pratice sessions.. not for movies.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No reason you couldn't IB a guitar speaker, they're not really meant to work with any specific back-pressure, as many cabs are open-backed. I'd go with 12's, though, as guitar speakers without the back wave dispersed from behind the cab can be pretty directional, and 15's get beamy up high anyway. I'd do them at ear level, if possible.
The Eminence Red Coat line PE carries is highly regarded, and I hear really good things about the Wizard:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-864

The Red Coats are apparently based on certain Celestion models, which are considerably more expensive.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I thought you were talking about a single IB to be used for movies, music and guitar sessions.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info / link. I will check into those. Do I need any additional drivers, tweeters, mids etc? I have seen a few guitar cabinets that seemed to be almost a 2 or 3 way.

So with my plan of doing guitar drivers on one side and sub drivers on the other, 2 drivers per side would I be able to safely run that off of one 2 channel amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks