Can you help out a newbie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd P, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Todd P

Todd P Auditioning

Ok I'm new to this hobby and to this board and I'm looking for some guidance.

This is what I have coming next week:

Yamaha - HTR-5450

Sony - SAVE325

This is what I already have:

Pioneer DVD Player - DV333

50" Pioneer TV (10 yrs old but it was given to me)

Dish Satelite with PVR coming soon.

My questions are:

What are some good cables and speaker wire to use?

(I don't need the best because I don't really have the best ewuipment I just want something that's going to work well with what I have)

Where's the best place to put a subwoofer?

Where do I install my rear satelites near the ceiling or closer to where we will be sitting? Does that make sence?

What is the best way to hook up all of my goodies?

What are some good installing links for beginners?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

2. Christopher Collins

Radio Shack cables are nice and cheap and will get the job done for most of the basic needs. There will always be a heated debate over the impact of cabling on your audio / video experience. I wouldn’t give it allot of thought unless you are absolutely fanatical. The better shielding on some of the monster connects can help if you live in an older house or have allot of other devices around that give off interference.
    Home Depot / Lowes for speaker wire. You can tell them exactly how many feet you want and that’s what you pay for. Last time I was there they had white, brown and clear.
    Setting everything up ...
    http://www.hometheateradvice.com/setup.shtml
    http://www.htcal.com/articles.htm
    The AVIA http://www.ovationsw.com/ DVD IS also very helpful for setting up and calibrating your system.
    The guys here are very helpful as well. You might want to do a search on the forum for some of these topics. I have found answers to most of my questions just by searching old posts.
    Hope that helps !

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Todd. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    What Cables: You really want to use a SVideo cable for the better picture. As Chris mentioned, Radio Shack brand is fine, the AR (Acoustic Research) brand has a lot of fans for budget interconnects.
    Does that receiver offer SVideo switching? If so, you run SVideo from the DVD & Dish receiver to the Sony receiver, then a single SVideo cable from the Sony to the TV.
    Speaker Wire: Use 12 ga for everything. The dual bananas xxx-308 from Radio Shack are a easy way to wire things up if your speakers take banana plugs.
    Rear Sats: Well, the "next big thing" is a rear-center speaker so I'd suggest mounting your rear speakers on stands at ear level.
    Hope this helps.

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I apologize for jumping into someone else's thread... Does AVIA come with "paint samples" (ie colored paper or cardboard or whatever) to compare the TV's calibration with or is it strictly by "feel"? I've tried setting up my TV with the rudimentary setup that came along with Fight Club (THX) and I just couldn't get things to look right, it was actually worse when I got done...

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dave: Avia does come with a red and blue filter to help you adjust the contrast. It also has several test patterns & color charts.