What's new

Can you help me with convergence? (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Something is seriously wrong with my tv. When I put in a thx mastered movie (Fight Club), when the thx logo popped up the left side of the big blue box was a S instead of a straight line.:eek: I mean I know your convergence will shift and what not, but this was ridiculous.
I can only do a nine point convergence on my set, does every set do 56pt in the service menu? Basically everything white on my screen has a blue outline where I cant get to it because of only having a nine points convergence.
I have the service menu code. Would suggestion would you all give for me to have this fixed besides a ISF cal? What service tech from dealer be able to handle this? Thanks for help.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If your unsure on doing it yourself call the store you bought it from and have a tech come out to fix it. If its under warranty then it should cost you nothing.

Kevin

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'd risk doing it myself, I just don't know where else to do it besides the user menu. I feel that if I had a 56 pts convergence grid then I'd be able to take care of it, but since I only see the 9pts, I'm screwed.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
LeMarcus:

How new is the set? If it is within the warranty, I would definitely call for service. Any very-mediocre service technician SHOULD be able to handle such a geometry issue without too much trouble. Is the set under warranty? Did you buy an extended warranty?

The nine point convergence is certainly not as "detailed" and "powerful" as one that has more points of convergence (such as 56). However, it may at least allow you to correct major flaws (which is what it appears that you have described). Hmmm...

Can you cite other instances (other than that THX logo) where it is obvious that your geometry is flawed?

It might help if you give the brand and model of set. You asked if "all" sets had a 56 point convergence grid. They do not. Some have fewer, some have actually have more. Some have a simple one in the user menu, and more complex ones in the service menus. Some have a 56 point convergence or a 64 point convergence in the user menus. Some sets have a button you can press, to "auto-converge." Some have three grids to choose from. It varies, a lot, from set to set.

Regardless, any decent tech should be able to put this right. You may get this fixed under warranty. Even if you do not, and you have to pay, the cost may not be so bad (relatively speaking), since we are talking about relatively simple service menu adjustments. It is not comparable to a service call where the tech has to replace a main board, or a CRT, or a lens assembly.

Obviously, any ISF calibrator could also put this right. IF you were planning on hiring one in the next few months anyway, then you could simply go that route.

If I were you, though, I would start by calling for a simple service call.

Just my opinion,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Whaddaya got there, a Toshiba?
You can get into the service menu on Toshiba sets and perform service convergence (I think it's 64 point convergence). But don't screw around with the green grid -- you'll screw up your geometery.
Go to Keohi HDTV to find out how to get into the service menu.
Take it from me -- don't touch anything else. If you want more tweaking done, hire an ISF calibrator. I almost fubared my Tosh by playing in the service and designer modes.
Hanson

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I have a Samsung tantus, there's a pic of it on my site. I bought the 5 year $500 warranty, hopefully this will take care of the problem. I've been inside of the service menu it's all numbers, I didn't see any where you could select another grid if it's available. It does auto focus but you cant do auto focus when your source is progressive. And my convergence changes when I switch between prog. and interlaced.

Paul III

Auditioning
I've got the 65" Samsung Tantus. With power on, I hit mute, 1,8,3 to get to the advanced convergence grid.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi LaMarcus!

Since your complaint is convergence (very legitimate) and you have a full warranty call the service tech up to have a look at it. It might help if you have the service manual handy but remember not to mention that you were in the service menus. Some techs refuse to do service level convergence, so try to ask this prior to somebody coming out and wasting your time.

Also, if you need more examples of convergence area, put on a screen with lots of white lettering on a dark back ground, or put on a geometry / convergence grid off of AVIA or Video Essentials.

Regards

Gregg

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Thanks Paul. I'm going to look at that and see what shows up.
Gregg, thanks for responding, your who I was really looking for to respond to this thread since everyone speaks so highly of your talents.
I've seen how it was off on numerous grids. I might go in there and mess around. But I think I can wait till YOU do it in February.:D
I cant wait till you get here man, I'm so excited:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks