Can you help me out having e-mail problems?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Preston, Jan 17, 2004.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I just got my computer fixed been out for a while. I don't know if there is something wrong with hotmail or my e-mail account. I think my e-mails are really delayed. I forgot a pass word to one site I visit and they are suppose to e-mail me a new one. I have tried the a few times but no luck in getting the e-mail. This actually happened on two sites. I rememeber this happening a while ago but I forgot what I had to do to fix the problem. Can someone please help?

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Can you provide some details ? Need to know what ISP, mail client version, type of Internet connection, etc...

With all the tech brainpower here, I'm sure we'll get you straightened out !

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Your best bet will be to gather all the information that Kirk suggest you come up with and then post a help request in the "Computers and HTPC" forum, which is designed for exactly this kind of question and where most of the computer aces hang out. Or added the information in a reply to this thread and then ask a moderator to move it to the right forum for you.

But nobody can do anything with the vague description and lack of detail you've provided, and those best equipped to help you probably won't even see your post as things stand now.

Regards,

Joe

(Admin note - thread moved)

4. David Preston

My ISP is MSN and I have dial up. What is mail client version? Thanks

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The e-mail client is the program that you use to access your account. In your case it is most likely Microsoft Outlook.

I'm not a computer expert, but it sounds like you may not have the correct SMPT (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) or POP (Post Office Protocol) settings for the e-mail program that you are using. SMPT allows your mail client to send e-mail to your ISP's mail server. POP allows you to retrieve your messages from the same server. If the mail server name is missing or incorrectly entered into the SMTP or POP settings for your e-mail program then you are not going to be able to send or retrieve mail.

In order to set up the system you need to know the name of your ISP's mail server. If you don't have that information you will have to contact your ISP and get it. They also should be able to talk you through the set up procedure in order to get your mail up and running again.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

7. David Preston

Here is what is happening now. I can get e-mails from friends but not the sites I am requesting passwords from. Edwin I wasn't successful at the solutions above.I was probably doing it wrong though. Thanks for your help. Any more suggestions.

8. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Does MSN have a spam filter that might be misidentifying these emails as spam and deleting them or putting them in a SPAM folder somewhere? It couldn't hurt to try calling MSN's support and explaining to them what is happening. I don't know how helpful their support is, but it couldn't hurt to try.

9. David Preston

Thanks Dave. I'll check that out.

10. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Go to the hotmail webpage and check there whether mail has indeed been filtered into some kind of spam folder.

-Christian

11. David Preston

I got it figured out now. Everytime I would press the first letter in my email the thing would pop up where I wouldn't have to type it all so I would just click on it and it would fill it in for me. What the problem was is there was a www in front of it. So it wasn't going to my e-mail. Thanks for all the suggestions. It was my fault.

12. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

David, for Pete's sake, I've been reading manuals, asking friends, and wracking my brains for you!

Just kidding !

[​IMG]

Glad you got it sorted out !