What's new

Can you help me identify what film this image is from? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, last time I asked about a film image here someone got it right away. I am hoping someone can tell me what this image is from. View it here on the home page of the They Shoot Pictures Don't They? site.

So, the image is of two groups squaring off against each other. One dressed all yellow, the other dressed all in green, with a line of guys dressed in orange in the center background and a guy in a red jacket and hat standing in the center of all this. They are in a forest and it looks like some serious shit is about to go down. It's a great shot. I have not watched a lot of Asian cinema over the years and have no idea what this is from but the image makes me want to see it. Can you help?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Impressed how fast people identify these things here. Steve is correct as an image search under that title yielded this image match:

ZU Warriors.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have it on DVD but it's been ages since I last watched it. It's enjoyable but not for everyone. Have you seen any Chinese fantasy horror like Spooky Encounters or A Chinese Ghost Story? If you liked them you will like that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have it on DVD but it's been ages since I last watched it. It's enjoyable but not for everyone. Have you seen any Chinese fantasy horror like Spooky Encounters or A Chinese Ghost Story? If you liked them you will like that.

I have not but am very intrigued.

Found this trailer and it looks pretty wild and I can see just from this little bit how it was an inspiration for John Carpenter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I thank you greatly for that information and have no knowledge of this picture whatsoever. If you have seen this, did you enjoy the film?

I love it. It's great fun. Chinese (including Hong Kong, Taiwan, and PRC) Cinema is a odd duck. Like any other national (or regional) cinema it ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous. Zu is a specific sub-genre of martial arts films referred to as wuxia. I tend to refer to a lot of them as "flying swordsmen" movies as they often feature swordplay between fighters who can dance from treetop to treetop, or sail through the air with little effort. It takes getting used to, if you're new to it. I know people who think it's ridiculous, but I think of them as an Asian equivalent to Western mythological films like the Steve Reeves Hercules movies.

If you want to dip your toe into the genre, I'd suggest starting with the obvious, kinda sorta recent intro for Western audiences, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. From there, maybe check out Zhang Yi-mou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

Among the classics, the two big names are Tsui Hark and King Hu. For the latter, Criterion has released two of his major films, Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen, on Blu-ray, while Film Movement has released my personal favorite Hu film, The Fate of Lee Khan.

Hark is probably the filmmaker who introduced the genre to longtime fans. Zu is the big one, but more recent ones, available on Blu-ray, are the Detective Dee films. One of his that's more of a "kung fu" film than a swordplay film, but I love to pieces, and highly recommend, is Peking Opera Blues. And, yes, Zu was a major influence on Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China.

Caveat: I've been exposed to a lot of this cinema, but I in no way consider myself an expert.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So, last time I asked about a film image here someone got it right away. I am hoping someone can tell me what this image is from. View it here on the home page of the They Shoot Pictures Don't They? site.

So, the image is of two groups squaring off against each other. One dressed all yellow, the other dressed all in green, with a line of guys dressed in orange in the center background and a guy in a red jacket and hat standing in the center of all this. They are in a forest and it looks like some serious shit is about to go down. It's a great shot. I have not watched a lot of Asian cinema over the years and have no idea what this is from but the image makes me want to see it. Can you help?
It's got the smell of Shaw Brothers to me...mid to late 70s?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks