Can you help me eliminate the fuzz?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Sharpe, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Aaron Sharpe

Aaron Sharpe Auditioning

Okay, I need some help. This is really pretty simple, but I could use some pointers.

I've just moved and hooked my system all back up again. It's a Technics SA-AX6 system with those omni-directional Optimus speakers up front (I've forgotten model #'s). Anyway, thing is, I'm getting lots of buzz/fuzz/noise in the speakers. Then we hooked up a wire for FM, and now in 5.1 channel DVD mode I can very faintly hear radio broadcast in addition to the noise. We even unhooked the FM wire, and I can STILL hear the broadcast. And the fuzz noise is worse.

I know this is some kind of electrical thing. There is a power strip mounted inside the entertainment cabinet, and stuff is plugged in there. Could this be the culprit?

My system is relatively modest, but with my Velodyne sub it has always delivered for me. This fuzz is just intolerable. The receiver delivers this buzz whether it's set to DVD, phono, VCR, CD, etc., though to differing degrees for each.

What are the most common causes for this phenom? Is there a web page I could consult? Could it have something to do with some crossed wires somewhere? (I've got banana jacks on my speaker wires, so I feel pretty good about my connections).

Any advice is appreciated. I really want to clear up the sound. The Technics receiver always has a bit of noise, but it's generally very faint and can't be heard unless the sound is all the way down.

Thanks!

Aaron Sharpe

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I take it you didn't have the problem before. If you have cable hooked up, what happens when you disconnect it? Fuzz maybe is hum, goes away? If so we can do something about it. If not, we'll keep at it. Hum is due to a ground loop and you can read a bit about it here .

3. Aaron Sharpe

Aaron Sharpe Auditioning

I assume you mean cable TV. Yes, there's cable hooked up to the VCR > TV. It doesn't pass through the receiver, at least not directly (but then sound travels from VCR to receiver via RCA jacks).

And yes, the fuzz is better described as a "hum." Plus now I've got this radio interference. I'll try unhooking the cable TV from the VCR and see what that does.

I was wondering if speaker placement might factor in. I have moderately large speakers placed very near the cabinet via short pieces of cable. Think longer pieces of speaker wire might help?

I'll try unhooking the cable and see what happens.

Thanks, and thanks for the link!

Aaron Sharpe

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

speaker's shielded? getting some space is a good idea for better stereo sound so i'd look to that regardless.