Can you have HT with just L/R/C speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi group,

Wondering your opinion. Can you have a good sounding home theater setup with just the front mains and possibly a center channel? I really don't have the room for surrounds right now, but will when we get in our new house being built next summer.

What sort if listening options do I have with just those 3 speakers and possibly a small sub?

I plan to get a Denon 3802 and either some Paradigms or B&W's based on the in-home listening tests. Would it be better to wait to test the room acoustics in the new house (and not have a stereo set-up for 6 months) or just go ahead and get something now (which is what I really wanna do).

Thanks in adcance for any opinions you may have.

Aaron

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Jeff, thanks for the link.

Sean, I think I agree. I really don't want to go any longer without a setup. Although this will be my first ever HT, I know that I want to do it now. As for the surrounds, well, we'll be outta here soon and in the new house. I don't wanna push it either with the fiance by buying more speakers and sticking them in the middle of the room like would be necesary.

Anyway, what sort of DSP's and processing will I be using with the 3802 and the L/R/C speakers? Will I be using DPL mostly? From what I think I understand, the DPL wil give you a surround feeling with just the front speakers? Is that correct? Will some of the other DSPs on the 3802 be useful with just the front speakers?

Thanks all,

Aaron

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Aaron, you will not be able to use DSP modes in DD or dts, If you just use the front 3, DD and dts will simply be downmixed to redirect the info to the fronts.

I'm not sure about the 3802, I'm not sure you can use any DSP modes while in Pro Logic. There is a function called "3 Stereo" that will automatically send surround info to the fronts and may appear to throw some sound around.

Don't worry though DD, dts, and PL will sound ok without the surrounds for now until you can get them hooked up.

The 3802 will be a nice starting point.Even without the surrounds it will be a vast improvement over TV speakers.

Don't wait, get it and just leave the surrounds packed up until you can get moved into your house and assemble the "Proper" HT!!

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hi-Fi sound alone makes movies nice. Surround adds to a movie, but certainly, if you can't fit surrounds in now, then you don't have any choice. I can't comment on surround effects from front speakers. It's worth it to add the center channel though.

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just seeing this thread & seeing as how last night I watched UNBREAKABLE in DTS with only 3 speakers, L,C,R (I have the surrounds, but didnt have time to hook em up yesterday-boy that can be a pain trying to run 12 guage wire down the walls & across the room without it being noticeable) It sounded great, voice from the center channel & everything else from the L & R. BUT, it seemed as though I was missing something....

I ll post a follow up when I get the surrounds hooked up today......

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul