What's new

Can you guys tell me about MiFi and the iPad? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I realized that mifi might be a great solution for my parents who don't want to sign up for a DSL account.

I did some research and found that some new offerings would allow a pay-as-you-go sort of situation. Like a pre-paid phone card? But the articles I found were not clear how this works. If there is literally a card you insert into the mifi device.

And how does it work? From what I've read, it's a simple little modem sized device that receives a 3G signal and then broadcasts out the signal in wifi. Do you need a computer to set it up? It's battery operated? And I gathered you can password protect it from others getting on the wifi signal.

If it's simple enough, my parents would be more receptive of a wi-fi iPad. I showed them mine and they think it's cool, but not cool enough to get DSL!

Thanks for your input!

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I am not sure how the mifi pay-as-you-go plans actually work, here is Virgin Mobile's page, I believe they are the only ones offering such a deal now:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/phones/mobile-broadband-2200.html

The biggest problem I see is that the time expires rather quickly, with the longest length of time being 30 days. So if you buy 1GB of data and don't use it within 30 days, you loose it. A cheap DSL plan would be a much better way to go.

Are your parents friendly with any of their neighbors? If they are in wifi signal range maybe they could share a neighbors connection for a few dollars per month?

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this solely for an iPad? If so, a 3G iPad would solve the problem, without requiring a contract.

The MiFi from Sprint and Verizon are two-year contract things, like a cellphone. It provides a local wifi hotspot for up to about 5 devices, connected to the cell service. Speed will be limited to whatever your local cell service provides.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Nelson

I have a Sprint MiFi that is a portable hot spot that connects to my 3G network and then allows up to five devices to connect to it. It is battery operated and lasts about 5 hours when turned on. You don't need a computer to use it except for the initial setup where you secure the network connection like you would with setting up a wireless router.

This is a monthly plan though with a limit of 5G per month. I am sure that the pay as you go would be set up in a similar manner.

Parker

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the great feedback!

The mifi could be used with my Dad's iBook, so it doesn't have to be an iPad. I guess if one got the 3g iPad, there is no contract, but you do pay per month and the new plans are no longer unlimted. I'll have to review that.

I'll review the Virgin Mobile info and the Sprint option. That one sounds pretty good. But it does sound like a low cost DSL plan might be more cost effective. But the lowest AT&T plan at a decent speed is $24/month. Which my parents didn't really want to be do.

They had a neighbor with a wifi and it was not password protected. So they used to use that every now and then. But the neighbor's kids moved out, so the wifi stopped at the same time! There is a neighbor with a password protected wifi spot, but they don't know who it is.

Still more to research here and thanks for the info!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What problem are you trying to solve? Is it cost: they don't want to pay every month for internet? Or is there some technophobia about home broadband you can end-run with a cellphone device?

I assume it's cost if they're willing to leech off the neighbor's wifi :) Perhaps they could go in halvsies on DSL or cable modem with the neighbor, since they can get their wifi.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I can guarantee they'll be paying a lot more than $24/month for service on a Mi-Fi. Probably more than double that. Usually in the $50-60/month range.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So basically, your parents want free wifi / 3G broadband. Good luck with that.

Is NetZero still in business? That used to be the way to get free internet, over dialup. Otherwise, I don't think you're going to get cheaper than $24/mo, short of leeching off a neighbor.

Well, they can take their iPad to McDonalds, Panera Bread, Starbucks, etc. and use the free wifi.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I am just looking for a way to get my parents wifi. They don't feel they need it or really want it all the time. They'd rather read a real newspaper.

But they thought an iPad might be fun, but it's not really fully useful without internet access. So they thought they didn't really need it.

And they get along fine without the internet or email. When the neighbor had their wifi spot on, it was fun to get on it every now and then. Our town actually installed free internet wifi hot spots all over the city 2 years ago. But it was poorly implemented, they had to be sitting in the front of the house with the laptop up against the window and they'd barely have a connection. I could not get a signal from my house! It only lasted about a year and the city ended it for some reason. It never worked!

I just thought if there was a way to get them internet access, and it wasn't on a contract and it was part time and could be ended and started when needed, it might be a good way to go. Which was why I thought mifi might be an option. It's not how much it cost, though if it's a lot more then $24 a month, it probably isn't worth it to them.

Bottom line is they don't really have a need for it. I'm just trying to see if there was a way to get them wifi. I live about a 1/2 mile away from them. Too bad I can't feed or beam them my signal!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/301786/can-you-guys-tell-me-about-mifi-and-the-ipad#post_3708393

You can. But it requires setting up antennas and hardware jiggery-pokery. I have in-laws that do this.

I think your best bet is a 3G iPad. Then they can pay $15/mo as they want for online access. Or perhaps cable modem, which is monthly, but doesn't always require a contract.

But I've learned not to try and force technology on parents. No one comes out happy :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You can. But it requires setting up antennas and hardware jiggery-pokery. I have in-laws that do this.

And I don't have exactly line of sight to their house. Buildings are blocking the way.

The iPad 3G does sound like the best option. But as you said, best to not force anything.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

The iPad 3G does sound like the best option. But as you said, best to not force anything.
Since they already have an iPad, you can swap new for old and they'll never know the difference. Except they can go online :)

You need a "killer app". Like email from the grandkids. Or Facebook to reconnect with friends for their 40th HS reunion. Or something.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I agree that the iPad setup is probably your best bet as the Sprint MiFi is $50 a month. And you have to sign a 2 year contract.

Maybe with more cellphones including mobile hot spots in them the cost of these single units will go down in price and not require a 2 year contract.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, mi-fi is not the right product for this application right now.

Dave, sorry if it wasn't clear, but my parents do not have an iPad, they've only seen my wifi only iPad. I'll look more into the 3g iPad plans, but it's all academic now unfortunately.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I love my MiFi. Had it since August '09 & use it with my MacBook Pro and iPad. I work for a government agency that puts significant internet blocks on our computers, so I bring my MiFi to work with the iPad when I need to get to sites the blocking software will not let me go. Frequently, these are sites with work applications, but require streaming audio or video, like a college's website. I generally use it 5 days a week. Turn it on when I get to work, turn it off 8 to 10 hours later when I leave. Have never gone over the 5GB limit.

Also, I use it while on vacation in the Outer Banks. My son & I bring our laptops. I tether the MiFi to my machine, turn on 'Internet Sharing,' and we are both able to access the web at excellent speeds. I cannot recommend as a substitute for cable/FiOS/DSL unless you live alone. When one party takes the MiFi on the road, they take all the internet with them.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Why turn on Internet Sharing? Can't your son access the MiFi directly from his laptop? Maybe you don't want to give him the SSID and password?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ed:

I am with Michael. Your son should be able to access your MiFi directly without having to go through internet sharing, If you aren't wanting to share

the password with him just log into the MiFi for him and put the password in yourself.

When I go to my parents I will bring my MiFI and my sister, mom, brother and I can all log in at the same time.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks