Can you guys please help me choose between these two component cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Chris Chang, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

This is going to be going from an a/v switchbox for my game consoles to the tv.

GE component cables - $15
    THX cables - $30

Are the GE ones supposed to be really crappy or is paying twice as much not going to be worth it? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Dude!

Don't blow your money! [​IMG]

Get the GE's...you'll probably never notice the difference! (Although many will claim the differences will be night and day..blah blah blah)

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Alfer

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It's a difficult thing to say.

You did not tell us if you are running standard component video to a 19" TV or Progressive/HD video to a 60 HDTV projection unit. One system really wont matter because the cable wont be a limiting factor. The other - could be a different story.

Just saying "GE" or "THX" also does not give us any information. GE is a brand just like GM is a brand. There is a world of difference between a Chevy Geo and a Corvette, but both are "GM".

And THX is a ... good housekeeping certification, not a brand.

Limited by your 2 choices, I'd go with the THX rated cables. At least the cable-builders made some cables then had a third-party run them through tests. This extra attention probably makes the build-quality of the THX cable superior.

If it were my system, I'd bump the budget to $45 and get a custom cable made with Canare or Belden HD rated coax and Canare RCA plugs. The specifications on the coax are available (and I'll even help you understand them if you want).

4. Chris Chang

Well, this is going to a 47" Panasonic HDTV.

I went ahead and bought the GE cables, but can always return them. Honestly, I can't tell the difference when my PS2 and Cube are plugged directly into the tv and when they're going through this cable.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the connections are kind of loose and feel like they can come off easily. Also, this could be the "weakest link" since it's connecting these other components.

For the GE cables, I figured telling you that they're $15 would be enough info. The Circuit City website doesn't really tell you anything else. And the THX cables are Monster cables...sorry about that. Thanks for the help. I never know which way to go when it comes to picking out cables.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. Chris Chang

Thanks again for the help. I'll take em back and see what else they have. Then do a few comparisons when I get the new ones.

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The GE cables are going to be perfectly fine. Analog HD component signals aren't running anywhere near the limit of what these cables can carry.

On the car analogy, if you are only going to be driving 20MPH, you won't get there any faster in a Porsche than in a Geo.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Matt_Doug

Matt_Doug Stunt Coordinator

...Bob, could you clarify this please. How do digital and analog signals at the same frequency differ? thanks

10. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Yes, Bob, please clarify. What makes you believe generic component cables can't handle this?

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

This "generic store bought RG-6 coax" that you claim can't handle the bandwidth, say like at Radio Shack, specs at -2.2dB at 100 Mhz at *100 feet*. Why do you feel it is a problem at 35 Mhz at 6-12 feet?

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

To be fair, and my apologies in advance for speaking when not spoken to, I believe when Bob said the following:

14. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

busted me up there Paul!