What's new

Can you guys help me un-screw some striped screws? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I'm taking an amplifier out of a P/A audio rack, thing is 2 of the screws (one on each side) are striped.
Any ideas on how to get them out?
Also, they're Philips screws.
Nathan
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Sears sells some screwdrivers that are specifically designed for stripped screws. Try them.

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
What diameter are the screws? Try an auto parts store (Not a Pep Boys) and ask for an "easy-out" kit. If the diameter is < than 3/8", than just drill it out with a smaller diameter drill bit, and then chase the threads with a bottom tap.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
They're bigger screws..
Any other ideas?
I really don't feel like going out and buying stuff.
Nathan

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well you can always drill a hole in the screw then jam something in there to get a grip and unscrew it. That's basically what the easy-out kits do. They got a thing like a drill bit that you put in there and twist the counter clockwise to grip the screw and get it out.
Also, there's a type of spray you can get that you put on screws that gets inside the threads and loosens it up. If you can get the liquid in there, it will help you unscrew it with less of a grip needed. But dammit, I can't remember the name of that stuff right now.
If you got a torq screwdriver (star shaped type) put it in, apply a lot of pressure, and turn. Perhaps it will find something to grip and get it started. Once you get it far enough out you might be able to grip it with vice grips and finish the job.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
If you mean that the head is stripped, try using a pair of vice-grips to grip the head. Then turn the screw using the vice-grips.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Nathen ~ the processer gooroo,
Cutting torch, works every time. :)
Spend the three buck or so and a couple bucks for a cheap drill bit and buy an easy-out kit. Any hardware store or auto store will have them. Measure the screw as best as you can as they come in different sizes. 5- min and there out.
While your out picking up the easy-out kit, spray some pentrating lube on the screw if poss. If the mounts are plastic your screwed, but if it's metal around the screw let er have it. Just whip the excess off before you leave for the store. This will give it time to help make the removal of the screw or screws easier when you get back with the kit. If handy, use a center punch on the screw head before you drill your hole. This makes it much easier to get the drill bit started and going in straight.
I find it interesting, your removeing a nice amp according to an earlier post (your father gave you an Sunn-amp) Im assuming this is what your trying to get out, and you dont want to spend 5- 10 bucks.
Strange prioritys....
Feel free to flame, or better yet, nicely set me straight.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks