What's new

Can you guys help me choose a 3d Bluray Player, I'm having some issues I think. (1 Viewer)

beaverking

Auditioning
Real Name
richard
So I just got my video and audio setup complete and was using my ps3 as my player and found out you won't get lossless audio plus its such an old player that a stand alone will produce better picture including 3d picture. I heard that the bluray player should include a tv size setting to work best. Anyway I just bought a BDT330 and there is no screen size setting to input, so I was wondering how big of a deal this is. I also noticed that all Panasonics don't allow screen size setting. I also don't notice any big jump in 3d quality of the ps3. With my zt60 I'm getting good depth, but nothing is really jumping off the screen and coming at you and I thought upgrading from the ps3 would fix this but the BDT330 is the same. Is something wrong with my setup? I'm debating on taking back the 330 and going with the Samsung 7500 or Sonys790 to see if the 3d makes a difference as those have screen size settings. If that isn't even an issue though, I'm thinking about just taking back and upgrading to the BDT500. Can anybody help me to choose the best player for 3d and if what I'm experiencing with 3d images is normal. Are all 3d bluray players the same? Meaning do they all output the same 3d image or do some output better 3d with depth and pop out effects? Is there a player that you can adjust these settings even further vs. basically on or off? I've tried googling for a week and can't find anything to support this.Thank you.BTW. My setup for these purposes are Panasonic ZT60, Elite VSX43 receiver and Audioquest Pearl high speed HDMI on all connections.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your 3D setting are in your TV.

From a technical standpoint...for video...

There is no difference, at all, in video performance in the players themselves. A 1 is a 1, 0 is a 0.

My Orei (the only 3D I have...and no, I do not "do 3D") has settings for RPTV, LCD and plasma. The only one of my 6 BD players to have such a setting.

beaverking

Auditioning
Real Name
richard
Yeah there are no 3d settings besides a left eye vs right eye from -3 to +3 which doesn't do a whole lot and a refresh rate. My main concern is my ps3 asking for tv size but my new bdt330 not and me reading its kind of important.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I read a little about this...

Apparently Panny BD players are smart enough to see the EDID.

Oppo, Sony and Samsung ask. Problem is, none ask for the distance from the set. Which renders knowing the size of the screen...pointless.

beaverking

Auditioning
Real Name
richard
I'm not denying this, but it seems to me that if Panasonic was smart enough to automatically know this, why aren't the others? Especially a $500+ Oppo? Just for reference also I'm about 8-10 from the 60"

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Usually people do all the "screen size/aspect ratio" settings from the tv and not from the player. Just make sure that the player is outputting the "native" aspect ratio (4:3 with black bars on the sides etc).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
beaverking said:
I'm not denying this, but it seems to me that if Panasonic was smart enough to automatically know this, why aren't the others? Especially a $500+ Oppo? Just for reference also I'm about 8-10 from the 60"
PS3 is not strictly a player and likely will expect a lot more varied resolution types than a typical BD player IMO - it is potentially asking screen size for reasons different than what a stand alone player would be used for. The PS4 has few configurations video wise and currently doesn't even support 3D movies, yet for most video it displays quite nicely.
jrdnlc said:
I have an Oppo bluray player. Best money ever spent
While they are fine players, this in no way adds anything of use to this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread