Can you give advice about multi-region please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Michael Clark, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

I have a friend in California who is about to get a dvd player. I've told him to get a multi-region player as there are some Region 2 discs he wants.

I am in the UK so I don't know anything about US players!

I have 2 questions for anyone who might be able to help:

1) What player would you recommend in the US and how do you go about getting multi-region in the US?

2) Will there be a problem playing back Region 2 PAL discs on an NTSC televsion?

many thanks if anyone can help

Rich

2. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

[​IMG]
    NE1?

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The answer to your questions...

1.The most popular make in the U.S now,if i am not wrong should be APEX players.MALATA is catching up to that position.

2.Your friend will still need a color system converter to convert PAL to NTSC.As most of the CTVs are not multi-system,they accepts only NTSC signals.The player that he buy will probably be able to output PAL color,since the player is neutral.

4. Johnny Lerner

My understanding is that APEX discontinued being 'multi-region' over a year ago - anyone tried any 'recent' ones?

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

6. KrisK

KrisK Extra

Hi all, I was interested in this also. I looked at a couple of multi-region progressive players - Philips Q50, JVC XV-S62. The specs talk about multi-standard (PAL/NTSC) playback, but nothing about converting PAL output into NTSC. Do you folks know whether these do the conversions or any other players with built-in converters.
    Thx, Kris
    PS: Searched on the web for Malata DVD-N996. It looks like the answer to my question. [​IMG]