What's new

Can you give advice about multi-region please. (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I have a friend in California who is about to get a dvd player. I've told him to get a multi-region player as there are some Region 2 discs he wants.

I am in the UK so I don't know anything about US players!

I have 2 questions for anyone who might be able to help:

1) What player would you recommend in the US and how do you go about getting multi-region in the US?

2) Will there be a problem playing back Region 2 PAL discs on an NTSC televsion?

many thanks if anyone can help

Rich

YANG

Screenwriter
The answer to your questions...

1.The most popular make in the U.S now,if i am not wrong should be APEX players.MALATA is catching up to that position.

2.Your friend will still need a color system converter to convert PAL to NTSC.As most of the CTVs are not multi-system,they accepts only NTSC signals.The player that he buy will probably be able to output PAL color,since the player is neutral.

My understanding is that APEX discontinued being 'multi-region' over a year ago - anyone tried any 'recent' ones?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
2.Your friend will still need a color system converter to convert PAL to NTSC.As most of the CTVs are not multi-system,they accepts only NTSC signals.The player that he buy will probably be able to output PAL color,since the player is neutral.
There is more than just the color system that differentiates PAL and NTSC. The frame rate and resolutions are different also. The Malata N996 player is regarded as doing the best PAL-to-NTSC conversion right now.

Unlike the UK, most TVs sold in America are not multi-system, so your friend would need either a player that does the conversion, or an outboard converter, which is much more expensive.

KrisK

Grip
Hi all, I was interested in this also. I looked at a couple of multi-region progressive players - Philips Q50, JVC XV-S62. The specs talk about multi-standard (PAL/NTSC) playback, but nothing about converting PAL output into NTSC. Do you folks know whether these do the conversions or any other players with built-in converters.
Thx, Kris
PS: Searched on the web for Malata DVD-N996. It looks like the answer to my question. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks