What's new

Can you forget how to swim? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I haven't gone swimming (pool/ocean) in about 8 years. And, I'm planning a trip to the beach this summer. So, I'm curious if I've forgotten how to swim... Or is it like riding a bicycle? Clearly, I'm going to hit the pool a few times before my trip as a "dry run" (excuse the pun), but it's a funny topic...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I would imagine its like riding a bike. I learned to swim years ago, but I hardly ever do it now.

Isn't most of swimming lessons just learning how not to be afraid of water? I would think once you are past that the rest is instinct.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I think that if you were a serious swimmer and you hadn't done it in a while, you may lose some of your technique but I doubt you could forget how to swim. I think that would be like forgetting how to jog.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't hurt to learn how to swim (you just never know when you'll need that ability).

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Swimming is easy... getting over the instinctive fear of drowning/sinking, that's the hard part.

Practicing in a pool is probably a good idea, just to get the hang of it, before venturing into the ocean.

KJP

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Even if you did forget, I believe it would come back to you with the right incentive.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely hate the ocean. I hate going out in it. Lakes also. Just the thought of creatures moving around underneath me freaks me out. I'm ok in boats but not me in the water.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that YOU will have forgotten how to swim, but your muscles probably have. Like saying goes, "Use it or lose it". So going to the pool to practice is a good idea.

In a similar vein, I recall going out to play tennis after skipping several years. When the first ball came my way, I knew in my mind exactly what to do. Unfortunately, my legs weren't listening, and I fell on my butt!! At least I wasn't trying to impress a girl at the time. :b

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I absolutely hate the ocean. I hate going out in it. Lakes also. Just the thought of creatures moving around underneath me freaks me out. I'm ok in boats but not me in the water.
Amazing. I think no other movie has instilled fear in people quite like Jaws has. I know because I'm the same way.

I HATE swimming in anything other than a pool. Snapping turtles, biting fish (yes a fish bit my big toe in a lake once), shells, rocks, crabs, sharks, and all those awful monsters you're just POSITIVE lurk out there waiting to swim up underneath you and devour you in a toothy death. It's horrendous. I did manage to go ocean swimming in Bermuda two years ago but only where the water was crystal clear and I didn't go in beyond far enough for me to stand with my head above the water. Certainly there were shells with toxic harpoons, jellyfish, sharks, scorpion fish, rays, horseshoe crabs, discarded syringes, body parts, giant squid and octopi, megaladons, pleisiosaurs, mermaids, aliens, Atlanteans, magnetic vortex whirlpools, krakens, and every other thing I have no desire of EVER being in the water with. But I went anyway. Had a nice time too.

I really want some kevlar-lined swimming booties though. That would help me a lot.

Is there a phobia for swimming in water you can't see the bottom of? Because I've got it. Unquestionably.

As for forgetting how to swim, no. You remember even if you just doggie paddle. What you might forget, particularly in the ocean, is just how tiring it can be. Unlike a pool you're facing waves and tides and the distances can be deceiving. Know your limits before you decide to swim to that little outcropping just over there.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I honestly do not feel that you can "forget" how to swim. You COULD forget some of the methods, like the breast stroke and others, but most likely not the basic skills.
Know your limits before you decide to swim to that little outcropping just over there
That is definitely the most important thing to bear in mind.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I did forget how to bike... had to learn all over again at 5 years old.

--
Holadem

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Amazing. I think no other movie has instilled fear in people quite like Jaws has. I know because I'm the same way.
I've had this discussion with friends of mine who go diving. I don't think its Jaws that gave me the fear. I don't know what it is. I know how to swim and survive if I need to.

When I was little my siblings and I used to wade around in the gulf of mexico just fine. We'd go out and walk along the sandbars. I didn't have any problems there.

I get shakey just driving over a big bridge over water also. Probably a combination of heights and water and plunging to my death in a car. But I'm fine on rollercoasters and flying (although I have never flown over the ocean).

Pretty messed up :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think that if you were a serious swimmer and you hadn't done it in a while, you may lose some of your technique but I doubt you could forget how to swim. I think that would be like forgetting how to jog.
That would be similar to walking. You can be hospitalized (in bed) for years and I don't think you'd forget how to walk...you might not be as proficient at first, but you'd pick it up quickly.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Well, I jumped on a bike after about a decade and was a little wobbly at first but got back into the swing of things after a few minutes. I just think it's an amusing question... :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
magnetic vortex whirlpools
I got over that fear after playing Sam and Max Hit the Road.

I don't like stepping in ponds, lakes, puddles, etc. because of a fear of all those icky little creatures that would love to devour me, or worse, get into my body and make a nest. Ick. Although, wading into clear warm water at a sandy beach isn't so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks