Can You 'dry out' tubes?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Grant B, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Had to move the car this morning and someone left out on the sidewalk and entire Magnavox Authorized service repair chest filled with tubes!Brand new in their boxes the only thing is the rain got the tubes in the bottom wet.
    I noticed a couple with condensation inside; can they be saved?
    Anyone need a couple?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If there's actually water inside it means the air seal is broken, and they're not "vacuum tubes" anymore. Other than that, they should be fine. I've seen tubes with a lot worse than rain having gotten to them light up first try and work great. Let them dry, maybe wipe off any dirt/mud -- taking great care to note down the numbers first; sometimes they wipe off, and you may want to write them back on with a china marker -- and they're good to go.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Thanks.
    I think most are fine but I had to throw out about 1/3 of the boxes.
    Too bad it was so nice and organized
    Need any tubes let me know.
    I need very few myself
    Grant

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

what kinda tubes ya got there?

kevin t

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why did you have to trash 1/3 of the box Grant? Myself, I'd just wipe them with paper towels and then just spread them on a towel to dry. You could always sell them on ebay or audiogon. Nice find though!

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i think he trashed the tubes that had water inside the tube. once the vacuum seal is broken, the tube will be relative worthless for any type of use.

kevin t

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sorry about the misunderstanding - I threw out the TUBE BOXES which got wet

You name it!
    Most standard radio/ TV tubes. Some fairly large....not '100 watt lightbulb size' but bigger than the ave. 6xx6 size

I didn't see any early '#80' tubes or anything like that

Ebay to me is a 'pain in the a$$' for little things. Most look perfect but I would not want to bet my life on it and I am not going to write out a list and all the other crap that people want when they buy (I don't blame them but I dont have the time)
    My offer is good if you need a few either - a few bucks for postage or some DVD/CD you are tired of.

Basically I am going to go through and get replacements for my Zenith Transoceanic shortwave and a couple other tube radios I have.

After that if you want the lot, Id be willing to work something out. Maybe some trade or ?

I am not looking to make money but one time I traded a cd changer to a person and ended up spending $30 on shipping for a couple crappy DVDs....that was my fault but I try and learn from my dumb mistakes.

I have been sick so email me with your wants or ? since my head hurts .....
    Grant

8. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

really all i am need of are 6SN7 and 6F6 (6F6G, 6F6GT). from the sounds of it, you don't have any of those tubes. lemme know. thanks.

kevin t

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I'll check in the next few days when I feel better
    Grant

10. Ralphie_B

Ralphie_B Stunt Coordinator

Mmmmmmmm, New-Old Stock tubes. [​IMG]
    Got any 12AX7 (a.k.a. ECC83), 6267 (a.k.a. EF86), 6BQ5 (a.k.a. EL84), or 6L6GC tubes? I've got a couple of guitar amps that could benefit from some extra mojo. [​IMG]

11. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

oh yeah, i could use 5AR4 as well, but i don't think you listed any of those.

kevin t