Can you drive two 20-39+ with one Crown K2 amp channel ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John-Tompkins, May 22, 2004.

1. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Im getting a crown k2 amp which is rated 1250 watts @ 2 ohms. My question is will the K2 drive 2 20-39+ subs (4ohms but it would be 2 ohms in parallel) on one amp channel ? and would it be a bad idea ?

The k2 is rated at greater then 3000 on damping factor and built to take alot of abuse..if any amp could do it, it would be this one.

Opinions welcomed as Im not sure if it would be to hard on it or drive it to clipping.

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

With ease.

3. John-Tompkins

Lewis, thats 2 subs on one k2 amp channel, you think it'd do it easily ?

(Just verifying that people are aware that Im wanting to drive both subs off of one channel, as Im not sure I was clear enough on my original statement)

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

That should be fine. The K2 is fine with 4ohm loads bridged and 2ohm loads on each channel. Dual CS+ wired is parallel won't drop under 2ohms...so you'll be fine.

Tom V.
    SVS

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Yeah, But what does HE know ?...[​IMG]

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have been running two (2 ohm load) 25-31CS+s off of one side of a QSC 1450 and one (4 ohm) 25-31CS+ off of the other side for quite some time now. No problem what so ever. In a little db race I did find it a benefit to have the gain on the QSC set to 3/4 instead of full and this helped with clipping at -0 on LOTR. I just turned up the gain on my receiver to compensate.

The K2 being much more of a amp will definitely have no problem.

7. John-Tompkins

Steve,
    Im glad to hear that about the qsc..Ive been thinking about getting a couple of these myself..You by chance havent ever hooked it up on your main speakers to hear how it sounds ?..Ive read some people that have said the qsc's rock on full range speakers also.

8. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Forget subs, he sure knows how to run a business!!!

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You by chance havent ever hooked it up on your main speakers to hear how it sounds ?..Ive read some people that have said the qsc's rock on full range speakers also.

No I haven't John but the thought has crossed my mind.

10. TrentT

TrentT Auditioning

I have used QSC for main, surround, center and sub power. You will not be disapointed in any config.
    Models I have used:
    Model 1400 - 300 wpc @4ohm (main, center and surround)
    EX2500 - 750 wpc @4ohm (Main and subs)

As for driving subwoofers,in the past I have used the EX2500 to drive 8 subs (in one cabinet), series parallel to give an 8ohm load on the briged single channel. Drove them with absolutely no problems, in fact at no time did the cooling fan ever go into the high speed mode. I could push the subs into an overdrive situation without clipping the amp.

I have used the Model 1400 to drive two 15 inch subs, one on each channel, 4ohm each. Drove them well, but when pushed hard I could get the fan to kick into high speed operation.

Model 1400 on mains or surround, the sound was very good, bit of a noise floor though. Not noticeable under most conditions.

EX2500 on mains is great. Tons of power. Very solid sound.

I currently have an EX2500 bridged on two Adire 18 inch Maelstroms, running all 4 voice coils. (1500 watts) Absolutely FANTASTIC. Drives them with all the spl I want, and never a hint of running out of power. Again, never even gets warm. Cooling fan on low at all times, and I have pushed the system.
    I find that it helps to give these amps their own 120v circuit. They can draw a lot of amperage under load. Best not to starve them. Guess this is true of any amp, but I find they run cooler and cleaner with their own circuit.

Keep in mind that these amps are designed to be used in live sound applications. Therefore, they are quite rugged, but there is fan noise. If you don't have a remote location, or good doors on the cabinet they are in, you will hear the fans.
    I have always heard great things about the Crown amps also, but have not used one myself.

11. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Can a K1 run 2 16-46CS+ units in parallel off 1 channel? My friend is thinking of getting as many as 3 16-46's but he doesn't have enough amp channels.

12. John-Tompkins

Just a little update.

I recieved my crown k2 and proceeded to hook up two 20-39+'s to one channel in parellel. I calibrated the lfe channel 5 db hotter then the other channels. Popped in Jurassic park and cranked up the volume to -5db of reference (which means the two svs's were running at reference level)

1250 watts @ two ohms at reference levels and the k2 didnt even break a sweat (well it did run hot, but thats normal). I was hitting 120~122 dbs in my 15X14X9 room.

The K2 has an IOC light that turns on whenever the total distortion reaches .05 thd (these are not clip lights but just an indicator of .05 distortion which is way below being audible)..To my surpise I didnt even get this to flash, I couldnt believe it..Heck, I was running two ohms @ 1250 to reference level and it wasnt even breaking .05 distortion ..that aint bad

13. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    John-

I'm sure the K2 will have little complaint about driving a pair of SVS cyliders, but I am curious as to what you are using the other channel for? Shakers?

14. John-Tompkins

Yea, I should have mentioned this. I have NHT T5 towers up front which consist of two M5's and b5 12 inch woofer's. NHT active X1 crossover is set to 80 hz (I run the T5's set on large of course). I run the T5 woofers in parellel off of the other k2 channel ( T5 woofers are only 12 ohms so parellel makes it a 6 ohm load)...I know this is mono bass, but Ive tried both way's (stereo versues mono) and honestly cant tell a difference. 80 hz and below is supposed to be non-locatable anyhow.

I watched the Return of the King and I thought the K2 was gonna rip my B5 and SVS woofers to pieces [​IMG] ..the K2 is one mean amp bass machine.[​IMG]