Can you do the infamous "Electrical Focus" on an Elite?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Jun 19, 2001.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I have an Elite PRO-710 and was wondering if it is possible to do the "Electrical Focus" that we always hear the Mitsubishi owners talking about (mainly on HomeTheaterSpot.com).

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Electronic Focus on the Elites is straight forward enough.
    Access the Focus block and focus the three guns. You use the convergence grid as your guide.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Michael,
    Thanks for the info, but how do you access the Focus block?
    Scott

4. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    The focus block is behind the front panel ... look for it there.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Michael... (while I've got you here)...
    I posted in another thread a while back about the problem I had with mechanical focus on my SD582. With my blue gun, I can't find the "sweet spot" focus because I can't twist enough on either side of it--that is, I hit the stop when rotating in one of the directions (when facing the front of the tv, twisting the lens clockwise) before getting defocused on the "other" side of the sweet spot...
    I know it should be defocused slightly, but my problem is that I can't determine the optimum focus point from which to defocus...
    Ideas?
    TIA
    Marc

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I'm trying to figure out what you mean by hitting the stop.
    Typically, the factory optimal focus point for the blue is somewhere in the middle of its moveable range. This allows you to slide the wingnut both left and right slightly to fully optimize the mechanical focus.
    You should never be in a position where you run out of range on the focus.
    As you move the wing nut through the entire focus range, optimal (it goes without saying) is where the center grid lines are at their thinnest. If you are really lucky, you will see very faint scan lines within the blue grid pattern which tell you precisely where that optimal point is.
    The factory set focus on Pioneers is generally very close to being optimized. You should never have to move the wingnut more than a few millimeters in either direction.
    Regards [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Ray N

Ray N Auditioning

Michael,
    I think you are now talking about Mechanical Focus adjustment "by the wing nuts". The original question was Electrical Focus.
    I have done the wing nut adjustment - but have not experimented with the Electrical Focus. Are these the three pots located under the Elite lower panel. Also, there are two columns of three pots each. Which vertical set should you touch. I understand one of the sets can really screw the set up if you mess with it.
    Thanks,
    Ray Newstead
    ------------------

8. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I know, sorry to shift to mechanical...
    Michael, what I mean is that on my set, the barrel of the lens assembly has a slot that the wingnut protrudes from--when I first looked at it, it was completely against the left end of the slot in the barrel to begin with...
    The slot is of limited width (range of motion), in other words, I don't have unlimited range of motion for twisting the lens assembly.
    I know I'm repeating the obvious, and what you already know, but I just wanted to describe it in detail.
    The red and green were more centered, but as I said, the blue was already twisted as far left as possible from the get go... Hmmm, makes me wonder...?
    ===
    Ray--I believe it's the outer (furthest to the right) set of pots--but that's based on the service manual--and wasn't it incorrect for the Tosh? If you don't have it, I can send you a copy of the service manual...

9. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    YOu are in a tough bind. The focus on the crt does not appear to be where it should. Almost as in the mounting of the lens itself was incorrect and thus moving the wingnut to the furthest position was the best it could get.
    Is your dealer someone that you can really trust ... ? If the focus is just plain bad ... you might have an issue.
    If not ... this is not a problem that can be demonstrated to the service people ... without getting a quick smile and a good bye wave.
    Figure out how bad the focus can be and try to set up a condition where the service person logically has to go in there himself to fix it. Then hopefully he learns what you want him to learn.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

10. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I guess I can't say the focus is "bad"--at least not in the center of the screen, but I was just trying to tweak for the sake of maximizing quality... the edges are a bit fuzzy though (and seem to be worse now than when the set was newer).
    I was talking to the local Pioneer service guy, and he said that it was the electrical focus that would fix my problem (edge fuzziness), and perhaps a service mode convergence would help the edges also (which of course he cautioned against me doing)(I'm into the second year of the warranty, which only covers the guns I think?).
    My dealer isn't really a tweaker (at least on tv's--which is kinda strange since he's owner of Hartley speakers/drivers, and does quite a bit of experimenting with crossovers), hell, he told me you could adjust convergence before the set warms up and it'll be ok later... But otherwise he's a nice guy--don't know if I'd get much support there though.
    I might consider an ISF calibration at some point, and may still end up doing electric and service mode convergence myself...
    But, what would happen during an ISF if you found the blue focus limited as I described? Could you complete the calibration? Would you do something to "fix" the lens assembly?
    I suppose the fact that the lens came from the factory pegged at the limit of its focus range wouldn't imply improper assembly?
    And thanks again for your insight and input...
    Marc