1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you damage a receivers circuitry by "forcing" a 2 channel source into 5 channels?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Sorry for the length of this message but I felt that it was important to be clear.
    Approximately 6 months ago I was listening to the radio on my Yamaha HTR-5250. I was playing around with the concert hall, rock, and disco DSP's. I then tried one of the Dolby Digital DSP's to see what would happen. It played the 2 channel source in all 5 speakers. After a minute or so I went back to listening with the Effect mode off.
    About a week later I noticed a loud pop coming out of my left channel when I turned the receiver on (this pop is distinct and different from the click that normally occurs when the receiver turns on). This continued to get louder and louder. I finally took it in for service. When I got it back the tech told me that he thought one of the connections to the Dolby board was loose and he fixed it. Problem solved, the pop was gone.
    This brings me to the present. A couple of days ago I put a CD into my DVD player, turned the 5250's selector to DVD and walked away. I noticed that the CD was playing out of all five speakers and realized that I had left the Effect on from the last movie that I had watched. I turned off the Effect.
    I've now noticed that the pop is back when I turn on the receiver, this time in the right channel.
    This can't be random coincidence.
    Is it possible to damage the circuitry of the receiver by accidentally leaving the Effect on and playing a 2 channel source? I certainly hope that this isn't the case but I'm beginning to believe that it is.
    Does anyone have any insight into this problem? It seems to me that if it's so easy to damage the receiver by accidentally leaving the Effect on, even for a minute or two, that there's something seriously wrong with the design. Is this going to happen every time my wife accidentally leaves the Effect on? I'm getting pretty pissed off about this problem.
    I realize that I'm going to have to bring the receiver in for service AGAIN. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I've only had it for 9 months!
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!
    [Edited last by Jim_C on September 22, 2001 at 05:01 PM]

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    No, it will not harm you receiver! My guess is when the technician heated up the solder to fix the last bad connection it inturn weakened the right channels connection or it was just a matter of time before it happened on that channel.
    Wes

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

This was not cause of your receivers damage.
    ===========
    The problem was always there to begin with. Just happened to let go then.
    Yes~ a very big bummer, I be pissed too.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Sounds like you've run into a bit of bad luck. I've had three Yamahas, and there was never anything like that happening to me. Look at it this way, why would it have trouble with a CD, but not a 2-channel PCM track on a DVD player? The receiver doesn't see a difference between those, in fact when I put a CD in my DVD player, and the receiver gets a two channel source and is left in a surround mode, it treats it the same as it would a movie, and this is fine.

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks for the info. I guess that I just have a lemon. I'll get it fixed and hope for the best.
    Upgrade, here I come....
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!