What's new

Can you change my mind about receiver? (1 Viewer)

Alfonso

Agent
I'm almost sure i´ll go with the Yamaha RX-V440 (HTR-5640).
It has all the connections and features I need and I will be using it only for HT. The price is already has much as I can go. Still I come to this great forum (it has helped me and my friends several times!) and humbly ask if I should stay with my choice. Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hello Alfonso! Clint Walker, editor of DVDETC. magazine gave a very positive review of the RX-V440 in the Sept. 2003 issue. I was thinking of getting a second receiver for a music only room and this one is at the top of my list. My only concern is that it only has two digital inputs. That may be enough for now, but who no's about later? Either way, I think it would be an excelent choice.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the next step up, RX-V640 has pre-outs so you can add outboard amplification at a later stage should you want more power. not sure how much it would add to your budget though.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well if you look around you will notice the amp section in the lower-end Yamaha's is a pile of crud, they don't deliver the values they are rated to, but the build quality is still on the O.K. side just the amp is lacking...

6th Ave has the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 for $250 and it will blow that Yamaha away in the water although the Yamaha is 6.1 and the HK only 5.1 there is very little point in that extra channel and i'd rather have a better amp than another channel with even less power.

Here is the link: http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=AVR125&zipz=11001

and if you don't mind a used one look at www.SoundCity.com

It is $200 over there for a refurbished and it comes with a FULL manufacturers warranty of 5 years. SoundCity is also an authorized dealer, as well as 6thAve.

Stick with the HK, better looks, better amplifier, better remote, you won't go wrong..

I was also looking at the XVR440 and 540. I was dead set on the 540 but then I went to the store and I got sold to the HK instead.

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
personally i would stay away from yamaha they are way to bright for me, having owned the rxv995 (1,000). go with denon at that price. even a close out at 6th ave for denon or pioneer would be much better. what speakers are you usuing. ???????? frank

CurtisC

Second Unit
HK 125,one of the best buys in avr,s.Yamaha is thin, unintuitive and weak.I have no reason to knock Yamaha other than their low end sounds like crap,imo.

Alfonso

Agent
I'll be using 4 Sony SS-MF450H, a Sony SA-WM40 sub, and 2 other front and rear speakers I still have not chosen. One more thing I forgot to mention: I live in Portugal and the prices here are aprox. 200$ more, in comparison to most american prices. One thing I don't understand is why this receiver got five stars from "What Hi-Fi" if it is that bad. Anyway I'll go and see how much the HK 125 costs. Thanks for all the replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks