What's new

Can you change a subwoofer output from passive to active. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Kenwood HTB-205 and the receiver doesn't have a sub preamp so is the anyway that i can use the passive connection (which is regular spekaer connection) and hook up a powered sub.

Also even though the sub I have now is passive it still sounds good, what are the disadvantegs to passive compared to active.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Can't answer the first question but a active sub is powering itself, therefore not putting a strain on the receivers amps.

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a large advantage by itself.

"passive" connection is not the correct terminology. There is line level (pre-amp) and speaker level (wire).

You can, however, use most powered subs with speaker level outputs from your receiver, normally inline with the main speakers.

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
A passive sub leaches its power off of another channel usually through the crossover. An active sub has its own power source independent from the other channels.

The advantages of the active sub is twofold. The first, it makes use of an active crossover. In other words, the low frequencies are isolated first before being amplified resulting in a better signal. The second is that its power source is pure and is not distributed to other speakers resulting in better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks