What's new

Can You Believe It!! There are bad JP DTS disc's still being sold at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
I just bought the DTS version of Jurassic Park at Best Buy and got a defective disc! I'm going to try to replace it there once, and if I still get a bad disc I'll send it in to Universial.

Does anyone who has already exchanged the disc's have any advice on the best way to send it in? (Packaging and what not.) Also how long is the average turn aroung rate for Universial exchanges?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Look on the back of the case for one with a red technical grid. Those are corrected. You can also do a search, has there have been recent threads on this very topic.

GregBe

Second Unit
Mark,

I was shocked and upset as well. I just purchased JP at Best Buy as well, and it was defective. The packaging was identical to all of the advice all over the forum as to what to look for, so I don't think there is any way to tell from the outside. I exchanged it for another one, it it was defective as well. Instead of driving all over town looking for another copy, I kept the defective one and sent it to Universal for exchange. I figured this was not a new release and there were so many other things to watch, I could live without it for a few weeks. To my surprise, I received the corrected version in a week and a half from the time I dropped it in the mail. I sent it in an envelope by itself. I would recommend keeping your case though, because it came to me in a standard CD jewel case without any artwork.

Greg

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
This also happened to me a week ago ordering from Deep Discount DVD.Instead of sending it back hoping to get the correct one I just sent it to the exchange program for it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know why anyone is shocked. There was no recall. All the defective copies will continue to be shipped and sold.

Mark E J

Second Unit
I thought there was a recall. Oh well.

I went back to best buy and they had the corrected copies there for sale too so I just exchanged them.

Boy, it was worth it. The sound on the corrected DTS is amazing!.

greg_t

Screenwriter
No recall, only an exchange offer. The corrected dvd is reported to be the same master as the DTS LD. I have both the corrected dvd and the LD and they sound virtually identical to me. Of course the dvd uses the 754kbps bitrate whereas the LD is 1235kbps.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I got stuck with a bad one from Columbia House in July, which is weird, because a year ago I got a JP DTS from them for a friend and it was the corrected version.

I then bought what I thought was the corrected version at Best Buy only to find that it was also the defective. Best Buy's have all been recently replenished with this title in my area, and all seem to be the defective version. Maybe it's Best Buy clearing their old stock, but I know I've seen the corrected version in their store too over a year ago.

I sent in my JP DTS in August and finally got mine this week. 1 month turnaround.

Iain Brown

Agent
I also got a defective copy about 6 weeks ago from Amazon.com I immediatly sent it off and recieved my corrected copy here to Australia yesterday which was about a 5 week turnaround. Well worth the effort as the corrected DTS track is spectacular.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I have a verified corrected copy for sale. Send me an email. I bought a JP SB copy for the improved Superbit video.

Ron

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
While I'm sure everyone on the boards know about the JP problem, I would imagine most people picking up discs at Best Buy wouldn't even notice the problem when they got it home. I guess they're just trying to dump them.

JamesKr

Agent
I bought PEMC-D2R2 at my local Best Buy! When I opened the case is said PEMC-D2R2 on the disc. The holding case had a black technical grid on the back( not red like some are saying ) but the top lablel said Jurassic Park (WS)(DTS) and it was missing the PlayStation 2 sticker. Of the 7 copies on the shelf, only two were labeled this way, so I believe the other 5 were D2R1 copies. So you can tell the copies apart from the holding case by looking for these cues.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
While I've already exchanged my disc, I like to keep an eye of what's on the shelf. Most of my local Best Buys now have only the corrected version on their shelves. With that and the $2 price drop, now's a good time to pick one up for those on the fence in the ATL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks