Can you answer this about Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LaMarcus, May 13, 2004.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'm trying to figure out why the voice overs on the R1 release is different than the first viewing I saw of this film. The following describes exactly what I'm talking about.

P.S.-Administrators I posted this here because I neveer go into the Regional Dvd area, and frequent the movies forum often. so out of fear that there are others like me I've posted this here.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's a question about a DVD from R1. So it doesn't belong in the Movies forum; it belongs in HT Software.

M.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Perhaps that explains it, if you're referring to the Mandarin dialogue?

If you are speaking of the English dub, I can't comment as I don't watch foreign films w/ English dubs. But didn't Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh do their own voiceovers (especially Michelle since she speaks English very well)?

For my part, I have had no problems at all with the Mandarin track on either the regular R1 or Superbit R1 DVD of Crouching Tiger. Certainly nothing where I think voicing over "native Manadarin" speakers would help.

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I usually watch films in their original language as well, but I have watched part of CTHD in English. I really can't answer your question definitely, but I'm sure alternate dubs are made.

I can't really back this up with any facts, but I'm pretty sure that's not Chow Yun-fat's voice on the R1 English dub. Not sure about Michelle Yeoh.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I own two versions: a Hongkong dvd* and the R2/UK version. I've never watched it with the dub, but I've just sampled a minute or so, and the audiotracks seemingly feature the same actors and the same dubs, the only difference being the inevitable PAL speedup.

I would say exactly the same about the dubs on my dvds...

*A bootleg, but I unsuspectingly bought it in a normal Dutch import store just before I learned about the advantages of online importing. [​IMG]

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I don't have any facts to back up my opinion and don't have golden ears. However, based on watching quite a bit of Michelle and Chow Yun-Fat's english speaking roles in other movies, I would guess that they are doing their own dubs.

7. Allan^L

Allan^L Stunt Coordinator

Just stick with the original Mandarin track. As far as I'm concerned, choosing a dubbed track is on par with watching the movie in fullscreen.

8. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

For the most part I would also agree with that statement, but unfortunately many films and DVDs have atrociously inaccurate subtitles.

There are also some films and DVDs with astonishingly good dubs. Pixar for example prides its self on the accuracy and excellence of the foreign language dubs of their films. They also did an incredible job on the English dub for Spirited Away. Another excellent example of an English dub is the one for Das Boot.

Not all dubs and subtitles are created equally, but for the most part as pointed out by Allan, I prefer watching films in their original language and use subtitles when necessary.

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

In essence I would agree with you. But in a movie like Hidden dragon. There's two much action going on while they're speaking, it's to hard for me to watch and read at the same time without missing something in the process. (blame it on my inner city education I guess)[​IMG]

But with this movie I watched it the first time in dub, and the second with subtitles to get more depth with the story. Because I know they have to alter the script to sync with the lips. Also it sounds like the english mix is better than the Mandrin mix, or maybe it was my ears playing tricks on me.

But on Brotherhood of the wolf, the French track blew away the english dub in reference to sound quality.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

CTHD is a different situation than other foreign movies as it was written by an American writer with the intention it be translated into Madarin and watched subtitled. In the official book, James Shamus talks about writing in an "international subtitle style." By this same token, I don't think criticisms of the English translation are valid, either.

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Interesting observation. I originally saw it in the theaters when they only had the subtitles. I don't remember it being a problem reading and watching at the same time. I did try to watch it on my 32" Sony and didn't like the subtitles, so on the next few watchings, I listened to the English dub.

I think (for whatever reason) I didn't have a problem with the theatrical showing because the screen was large enough to see all of the action as well as the subtitles. With my "small" TV, I'm guessing that I have to concentrate more on the subs and miss a lot of the action. So I can empathize with LaMarcus is that reading the subtitles kind of takes me out of the movie , the beautiful scenery and action of this movie.

Anyhow, to each his/her own.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

This is very true for the fact that what the say on the english dub is not what is on the subtitle for 90% of what's being said; also some times there is words being said and no subtitles at all. For instance as they fly over the wall she says it's not over yet, but on the subtitles she doesn't say anything at all, she just fly's over. (if I'm not mistaken.)

13. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Last week in a local Suncoast Video retailer, I ran across something I found very interesting ... a DVD with cover art different from the "original". The title: The New Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon! Same actors, but the back cover alluded to the story being "expanded". Does anyone know anything about this? Could this be what the poster was talking about?

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I saw that dvd in the store today at blockbuster.. it seem like a miniseries or something.. the running time was very long. I was also cruious about it myself.

JACOB

15. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Yeah, I saw this "New Crouching Tiger" while browsing Netflix a month ago. It's just a new version with different actors only it apparently expands on the series of books the film was based on.

16. Bill_Syn

Bill_Syn Auditioning

It is a TV series from Hong Kong (with different actors), edited down into a very long movie. Tai Seng has done this with several series, such as "Kung Fu Master," "The Master Swordsman" and "Fist of Fury." They mainly keep the action, leaving only enough of the drama/comedy to make it a cohesive story. At least they have the original language with subs. Hopefully one day we'll get to see these shows uncut.

17. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Ray and Bill,

O.K. Thanks, ya'll! [​IMG]
    (I just could've sworn it had pictures of the original actors of the movie on the cover - probably my mistake.)