1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you add on to a HTIB?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if it is possible to add to a home-theater-in-a-box or one of those setups that come with just the speakers and receiver but not the DVD player? The reason I ask is b/c from most of the posts I've read it seems like the sub seems to be the weak link in most of those systems. So could I add a sub to either of those systems if I'm not satisfied with the sub it comes with? I don't have one yet, but there are a few that I'm looking at (both with and without the DVD player). Thanks a lot.
    Dan

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My first system was a box set that came with the receiver, a powered sub + 5 speakers. About 6 months after getting the thing I got the urge to upgrade so I replaced the speakers. Not too long after that I replaced the receiver and sub too.

3. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    I bought one of those Sony HTIB (HTDW-820) and decided to get a Sony WAM40 subwoofer (120W) - and it was a huge improvement, even though my speakers aren't much to write home about.
    So yes, upgrading from a HTIB is possible.
    I'm thinking of replacing the speakers, and then the reciever - but for now, i'm satisfied, and that's what's most important.
    ------------------

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    I think that's the beauty of staring with an HTIB - upgradability. For me, it was hard to get the initial expense past my budget officer (read: WIFE) so the "minimal" expense of $500 or whatever for the Kenwood HTB503 was more palatable. I already had great front left/right speakers which I intended to use so I didn't even use all of the Kenwood stuff out of the box. I've since upgraded the center channel and will shortly do the sub. Once I've got all the speakers upgraded I may do the reciever as well. The best part though is that I've been enjoying the whole thing all along! Now, is it as good as going out and spending $2,000 or more on all separate stuff? No, but I didn't have to go without for any period of time while I lobbied for more budget $$ or saved some other way for it.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    It depends on the reciever and system, but most of the time, its very upgradeable...
    The reciever in the kenwood is very upgradeable beause its basically a normal reciever that comes with speakers...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine