What's new

Can ya'll take one more look at my collection for reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry if this is repetitive or annoying but I couldn't find the last thread I started. Here's my collection.

~Own

-Airplane!

-A Bug's Life:CE

-Citizen Kane

-Clue

-Edward Scissorhands

-The Fantasia Anthology (Fantasia and Fantasia 2000)

-The Matrix

-The Matrix Revisited

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail:SE

-Moulin Rouge!

-Rat Race

-Shrek

-The Simpsons Complete First Season

-Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs

-Star Wars:Episode 1

-Tarzan:CE

-Toy Story/Toy Story 2 (The Ultimate Toy Box)

-Tron:20th Anniversary Edition

-Twin Peaks:The First Season

-Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse in Living Color

-Walt Disney Treasures: Silly Symphonies

-The Wizard of Oz:SE

-X-men

-Young Frankenstein:SE

So can anyone reccomend any titles to me to add variety to my collection or any overall great titles? Thanks all.

~Kevin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
All animation and comedy basically.
Try adding some grit and drama titles.
Maybe something like
Heat
Taxi Driver
Godfather Collection
Apocolypse Now: Redux
Those are all good DVD versions of the great films, so that you will still get plenty from your home theater and can add some solid tough guy drama at the same time.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
If you use the search function to search for your user name, it pulls up all the threads you've posted in. The search button is on the above the list of forum postings on the far right.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=38537
I was curious whether you were interested in foreign films, and others were curious why you are forbidden to see American Beauty (and how old you are). I might change my recommendations in light of your answer; I can't imagine you'd be allowed to see Platoon or Taxi Driver if you can't watch American Beauty.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Hmm. Well, to tell you the truth, I'm 12. So you can imagine why I'm forbidden. But don't let that stop you from recommending R titles for my collection.

~Kevin

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend that you save your money and wait until inspiration hits.

I tend to purchase in waves. I'll go for two or three weeks without wanting to buy anything, but then the floodgates will open and I'll end up thinking of a dozen plus movies to buy.

Lately, I've been on a Mel Brooks/oldies's kick and just ordered Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, History of the World, MASH (the movie), Youngblood, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Full Metal Jacket, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

It's nice to be able to buy a bunch of movies I really want all at once, which I couldn't do if I felt obligated to buy a couple of movies per week. Especially if I were forcing myself to buy movies just for the sake of buying them.

I recommend buying movies that you'll enjoy, and not just because they're classics or you feel obligated to have them in your collection. You'll get more mileage and satisfaction out of your collection and feel happier in the end.

The only reason I say this is because compared to the rest of your collection, "Citizen Kane" looks way out of place. Although I know it's a classic and can't argue with it's merits, I don't really enjoy the film myself, so I'll be saving my money for a film I really want to own.

Other than that, I recommend getting out of this hobby while you're still young and have your prime earning years well ahead of you. Your wallet will thank you.

I realize that I'm aimlessly babbling, so I'll shut up now. Sorry to get so preachy, I'm really bored at work today.

Guy_K

Second Unit
12 is about 6th grade, right? That's impressive. For the most part I agree with the above analysis.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Buy Fight Club. Then, wait till you're in high school and watch it. Actually, watch it now, but you might not understand it, I know I sure as hell didn't the first time I watched it at 15 but as time went on and I watched it about 5 million more times, it became one of my favorite movies of all time.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well... I got my first DVD player when I was 14... so you are a bit ahead of the game... ok first off... you need Evil Dead titles... you need Evil Dead: Book of the Dead Edition(coming out in March), Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn, and Army of Darkness... maybe a couple of Criterions, some Monty Python... definately get This is Spinal Tap and some Kubrick (I recommend getting the New Stanley Kubrick collection... but if you don't want the whole thing (being 12 and all... just get 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket)
remember... never let anyone put down the titles in your collection and you may want to use the expression "well... I could be using the money to buy crack" to your parents :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I tend to purchase in waves. I'll go for two or three weeks without wanting to buy anything, but then the floodgates will open and I'll end up thinking of a dozen plus movies to buy.
:) I do exactly the same thing... in fact I went the whole month of November without buying a title (but December absolutely killed me (damn you Anchor Bay :D )

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

Hmm. Well, to tell you the truth, I'm 12. So you can imagine why I'm forbidden. But don't let that stop you from recommending R titles for my collection.

Fair enough, but I hope you wouldn't be mad when I say it changes the films I would recommend. There are lots of films that simply wouldn't make sense! These, however, I think do:

The Incredible Adventures of Wallace and Gromit
Chicken Run
The Princess Bride

These are recent movies that I think are a lot of fun but are not stupid. The first two seem like fairly obvious choices given your age and collection. I think you would like the comedy of The Princess Bride a whole lot, and out of the films I've listed, it's my #1 recommendation.

The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes

These are two older Hitchcock movies that are *relatively* tame. The first follows a man accused of being a murdering spy on the run from the law while trying to stop the real spy. The second is about a passenger on a train who disappears, and two people's search for her. Since the train hasn't stopped, she's on it - but where? And why is she missing?

Goldfinger
The Magnificent Seven
North by Northwest

I would imagine your parents having the most objections to these titles. Goldfinger is an early Bond movie. It's a lot of fun. The Magnificent Seven is a Western based on Seven Samurai. There might be better Westerns to recommend, but I haven't seen many Westerns. The Magnificent Seven is a lot of fun, which is why I picked it. So is North by Northwest, another Hitchcock movie that follows someone being chased as a spy when he is not. It would be my #2 recommendation.

If you get to see any of these, let me know what you think.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I can see things to the extent of "The Royal Tenebaums" (rated R). BTW, I'm in 8th not sixth grade. Yes I've seen North by Northwest and I thought it was very good.

~Kevin

Joe D

Supporting Actor
These titles would fit well into your collection:

Chicken Run

Antz

The Iron Giant

FInal Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Jaws

Willow

Any Bond Film

The Princess Bride

In terms of expanding your horizons, it's hard to say since you're quite young, but rent a couple titles that you may be interested in. See if you like em before you buy them.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
At 12 years old its difficult to tell whether or not your ready for some of cinema's greatest offerings. I first saw some of the greats - Citizen Kane, loads of Hitchcocks, John Ford westerns and a whole loada classic film noirs when I was 14. So you may still be a little young. If you've got the money, and you wanna go ahead and pick a couple of the greatest movies ever made, and have a REALLY well rounded collection, you might wanna go for a couple of these:
- Citizen Kane: Special Edition
- Vertigo: Collector's Edition
- 2001 (Remastered)
- Grand Illusion: Criterion Collection
- The Nightmare Before Chritmas - Special Edition
- Blade Runner: Special Edition (not out yet)
- The Third Man: Criterion Collection
- Rusmore: Criterion Collection (must buy!)
- Black Narcissus: Criterion Collection - best cinematography in any film... ever!
- Amelie (not out yet)
- Rebecca: Criterion Collection
- The Apartment (disappointing transfer of best comedy/drama ever made)
- Sweet Smell of Success - my favourite film noir
Check these out in about 5 or 6 years (when hopefully they'll have beter DVD versions!)
- Deliverance
- The Wild Bunch
- French Connection: 5 Star
- Manhunter: SE
- Blue Velvet
- Requiem for a Dream: Unrated Edition
- Fight Club (easily best flick of 90s with Heat and Out of Sight)
Also, everyone needs at least one decent horror movie, and at least one Fellini - so here are my picks for them:
- The Shining (Remastered)
- Nights of Cabiria - Criterion Collection

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Here are my recommendations...

- Braveheart (great movie)

- Contact

- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

- Dinosaur

- The Fifth Element SB

- Gladiator

- Independence Day (if you like film)

- Jurassic Park dts/Lost World dts/ Jurassic Park 3 (with 4th disk & box via mail in coupon)

- The Mask Of Zorro

- Men In Black dts

- The Prince Of Egypt

- Terminator 2 SE

- X-Men

David Ki

Agent

WTF? This is sad, I can't imagine growing up and missing all the good movies because of my age. I was allowed to watch any movie I wanted at your age, my local cinema didn't care about age eighter. I guess my childhood wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Hey, Kevin. Welcome to HTF.

You seem to be off to a good start for someone who's only 12.

You know what else you need? You need some classic Bogie:

Casablanca

The Maltese Falcon

The Big Sleep

If you stick around here for a while, I think you'll have a fair idea of what is considered essential viewing.

EDIT: So I notice you have Snow White in your collection. If you like Disney, I could not forgive myself if I didn't plug my favourite little elephant, Dumbo. Pinocchio is really good, too.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Time Bandits
Brazil
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Those are the best you need...
But I would recommend some Kubrick to you. Well, A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, and Full Metal Jacket are a bit over the top though. Try these
Dr. Strangelove
Barry Lyndon
The Shining is pretty gory, but I really don't know if you could see it. I have never seen Lolita before but by the storyline of it, I think you will just have to hold off for a few years.
No offense, but I think you need some action films in there. I have no problem with your Disney collection though. Did you get that boxed set with all the special editions?
Oh and see Army of Darkness. It really isn't that gory (especially compared to the other two before it) and the language is a little strong. If you liked LOTR, then I would NOT recommend any thing else, for you any way, that had "From the director of Lord of The Rings" or Peter Jackson's name on it.
HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks