What's new

Can XBox burn in on a Panny 47in 16x9 Rptv? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Can someone give me any advice on this subject? I know theres a thread about burn-in but I cant decipher an answer so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Elinor

Supporting Actor
XBOX, pillarbox/letterbox bars, tv station logos, can burn in on (in order of technology sensitivity): RP-CRT, plasma, direct view CRT.

LCD, DLP, LCOS, DILA are all immune from burnin.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Is there a way to avoid this or help make it not happen? Hours of playtime; switching games often etc?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Mods,
You may close thread if you wish. I found out what I needed to know.

Thanks

Elinor

Supporting Actor
There are many things to do to minimize the chances of it happening.

First, make sure the contrast is not set too high. It should never be set beyond the halfway mark. Use a calibration disk such as DVE, Avia, or even the THX optimizer on some DVDs to set brightness and contrast properly. Setting contrast often involves switching back and forth between brightness and contrast settings to get them both right. Some RP tvs even have a "game" setting ... use this if it is available.

Stretching the content so that it fills the screen is helpful. This avoids the letterbox/pillarbox darkened areas that can cause problems.

Not playing for very long times with a static image on the screen (health bars, screen logos, etc.) is helpful.

I have read many recommendations on how long static images and/or letterbox/pillarbox images should remain on the screen. 1:3 is a ratio I have seen ... I doubt this is scientifically proven, but is a fair guideline. (So, if you play for 2 hours with your Halo health graph showing, make sure you use a fullscreen movie for 6 hours afterwards, or as close to that as you can.)

If you play a lot of games or watch CNN a lot, I'd check the burnin status about once/month. You can do it by switching to the DVD input with no DVD in, so that you see the blank blue screen. Look the blank screen over carefully, it there is burnin you will generally see the faint shadow of the offending itsm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks