What's new

Can Wegas Hold Black Level? (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all. My father has a 36" FV16 Wega that we recently got. I've been through the test patterns with Video Essentials and I've found that this TV:
a) does not hold black at black well with variable APL's;
b) has to have the contrast and brightness set fairly high (more than 2/3 of scale) to be in the correct zone, even with controlled room lighting.
Do other Wega owners have similar issues with the contrast being set pretty high? It looks fine, but I'm a little wary of having it so high as it may damage the set over the long term. (By the way, temperature is set to high, SVM off, and the red push isn't too bad to my eyes. And yes, there are a few minor geometry problems).
Also, do these TV's have a reputation for poor black level reproduction? When I say it doesn't hold black at black I'm referring to two different test patterns with the Pluge Bar. One of the patterns is a mostly black screen (so a Low Average Picture Level), and the other is quite bright (high APL). The contrast and brightness settings that make the Pluge Bar just visible against the black background differ a bunch from one pattern to the other. I have concluded (maybe incorrectly) that this Wega does not do a good job at holding black at black. If I set the monitor to do a good job with low APL, then I lose a ton of shadow detail with a high APL frame/scene. As a result, I have to push the brightness up more than I'd like to in order to insure shadow detail for all types of picture.
I've found that my Loewe Calida does a much better job at holding black at black. Is my Wega experience normal, or did I just get a TV that has an insufficient power supply?

Chris Speights

Auditioning
I have a 36FS13 and I believe my set has no shadow detail how I have it setup now. Maybe if I up the brightness, the shadow detail will be better but then the picture is washed out. I've read that older Wega's need the Y-DC variable changed in their service menu to help with the black levels. Maybe if you do some searching you can find out. If my whole screen were as dark as the left 4" of the TV I would be happy, but with the uneven brightness....
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks