What's new

can we talk about neighbors again, please? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Carl,
Pasco, WA.
Pasco is part of the Tri-Cities - Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland. Kennewick is a great city and is where I grew up. The city council is very open and well published by the local press. They do a lot of silly things - sometimes I think the whole council is just a circus - but I've never known them to crack down on citizens for simply living their lives. As an example, my parents have a beautiful rock garden with trees and shrubs and flowers in place of grass for a front yard. They've never been harassed. The couple who built the house across the street from me in Pasco did the same because they were in their 80's and unable to mow a lawn every week. They were harassed and threatened for months because Pasco has a law that some major % of your yard has to be grass whether you like it or not. Eventually, they were forced to sell their home and move. Pasco says not having grass is "an eyesore", but their yard looks a hell of a lot better than many grassed yards on our block.
Richland is also a great city and is probably where I'll make my next home. Main reason being, I want riverfront property on the Columbia, and I can't get that in Kennewick. (I can get it in Pasco, but it's still Pasco. Besides, the only riverfront property available to my knowledge is $190k for 2.5 acres and they've made the covenents so strict the realtor doesn't even think a $400,000 home would qualify. Median home price here is $130k and that will get you 2000+ sqft on a decent sized city lot. $400k for home, not including property, would buy a 5000+sqft mansion.) Either that, or I'll simply give up on the riverfront property and buy a couple dozen acres in Benton County (where Kennewick & Richland are located). Pasco is in Franklin County and I'm afraid the bastards would simply annex my land into the city if I bought anywhere near them. Richland and Kennewick could annex my land and it would make precious little difference to me, as they are run for the citizens they serve - as it should be.
The people who have been running Pasco simply have a real problem with control. They want to tell you where and when you're allowed to shit and they want the law to be there to wipe your rear end for you.
My neighbor was told he is not allowed to discharge his swimming pool's water into the street. The water runs along the curb and goes into the storm drain - seems like an appropriate place for pool water to me. Everyone else in every city I've ever been drains their pool that way. He was also warned not to put it into the city sewer system or he would face huge fines (tens of thousands of dollars). So he asked where he was supposed to put the water when he drains his pool. The answer? "That's your problem, not ours."
My other neighbor is harassed by a cop - one specific cop - on a regular basis. We're allowed to park vehicles on the road for no more than 72 hours at a time. Every time he parks his boat in front of his house, he is ticketed within 12 hours. He bought a timer that he put on his fridge for the sole purpose of tracking this. Doesn't matter if he parks it there late at night - by the next morning, he's got another parking ticket. He's received 6 of them so far in just a few months. The judge has thrown all of them out but he still has to go to court and stand around for hours every time. Incidentally, they did the same thing to my RV. I parked it in front of my house one night and when I woke up the next morning I was ticketed. Spent a whole morning in court so the judge could say "dismissed" and let me go. This abuse goes on throughout the neighborhood on a constant basis but nothing is done about it.
I'm [--]THIS close to buying Link Removed and putting up a website. The only thing stopping me is fear of retribution. Those assholes could make my life a living hell as long as I live within city limits.
Anyway, sorry to move this topic into different territory. Please, feel free to continue talking about your horrible neighbors. My "citizen neighbors" are great. The bad neighbor is the city itself.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The water runs along the curb and goes into the storm drain - seems like an appropriate place for pool water to me.
Some storm drains empty directly into rivers. Depending on the chlorine concentration, it can be lethal to fish. We recently had a town fined by the State because they drained municipal pool water into the river and it resulted in a massive fish kill.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
You have no idea how good you have it! Let me tell you my neighbor nightmare. My wife and I purchased our fist house a few years back now, when we bought the house we did look in to what the neighbors were like. At the time there was a nice old couple on the one side and this family with 4 kids on the other, all in all not very bad at all. WELL, one month after we bought the house and moved in the family put their house up for sale…

Two months later, our new neighbors move in and we receive a letter in the mailbox explaining that our new neighbors are 3 mid 20s mentally retarded guys that have the capacity of 5 year olds. The parents of these guys got together and bought the house to setup a group home and pay care takers to take care of their sons 24 hours a day. Big problem number one started to happen within a half hour of them moving in. The three boys were pushed outside in to the back yard and set to roam, but as soon as they got outside they all started moaning and yelling, the best way to describe the noise is if I were to take a whale and beat it to death in the backyard…don’t laugh I’m dead serious. Every day all day we were subjected to this.

Big problem number two was that all three have Hepatitis C and very violent tempers. Now I’m talking about three 6-foot 250lb young men here. Rampages in the backyard where at least three of the care takers were needed to keep one of the boys from hurting the others was almost a daily occurrence. One even rammed in to my fence breaking through it and attacked my wife and I in the back yard. Thank god I was there, because I received a few good bruises before the caretakers could pull him off of me. I don’t think my wife would have lasted long if I wasn’t there to protect her.

What really made things worse were that with everything we tried to fix the situation made US the bad people. I got the “how can you be so heartless” look and comment all the time whenever I made any type of complaint about the poor retarded people. Hell I even had the parents phoning to yell at us for making their sons independent lives difficult. I haven’t even gotten to the fact that there were always cars taking up the only parking space in front of our place from the caretakers working there. The problem put so much stress on us that we almost got divorced because of it, but after running out of options. We finally gave up and sold the house at a loss (who wants to buy a house with a guy screaming like a dying whale next door) and built the house that we’re are in now.

We lost over 10k and I will be scared for the rest of my life. Now I can’t look at a mentally retarded person and not feel hatred, and that fact makes me feel terrible inside. I pray everyday that I don’t pass it on to my new child. You could have it a LOT worse, trust me.

Dean

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Update.
Your stories really have helped. Except for Ron's. :)
Here's how it went: The morning I was leaving, I was able to stealthily slip my car into the spot right in front of my house (I live on a small street of rowhouses, my house is basically as wide as my car is long). I privately asked three of my better neighbors to please keep a lookout, in case these folks decided to get vindictive or something. They all were very helpful and sympathetic; many of them had also been bullied by these folks over the years. I spent all weekend out of town stressing about it, and got home to find... Nothing had happened at all.
So... Now, I have decided that from now on, I will simply do nothing. I will ignore them. Every once in a while, I will say "hey," or "good morning," or whatever you have to say when someone is walking toward you on the sidewalk, but that's about it. They can feed the rats (I do put out poison, as do many of my neighbors), and they can bring the pidgeons (I have hung waving strips of sheet from one of my backyard poles, but an electronic pest-thing is also a good idea... Altho I believe that the pests will come for the food being put out no matter what the electronic pest-thing does), and they can even take up the whole street parking all their cars on it (they move the cars all around all day, according to a home-bound neighbor who hears/sees this go one all day). I will ignore them. I will shoo the pidgeons away and park down the street.
And someday soon, within the next year, I will move out of the furshlugginer city (and Andrew, so will you, take my word!) and into a "better" neighborhood where at least I will have some yard between me and any "bad neighbors." And I will rent my house out to a group of 250lb mental patients who have violent tendencies! :D
Seriously, thanks for the supports and the stories. My new slogan: Ignore, ignore, ignore.
Micah
PS - Someone needs to send Ron's name to the authorities, and it ain't gonna be me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks