Can we build a REAL KITT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 9, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm not talking about the Tubro Boost, the Oil Slick, etc.

I'm talking about a 'smart' car that can actually drive the road itself, avoid everyday obsticales like parked cars. Learn to stop at red go at green, etc.

I'm not as fond of driving as I was a few years ago. I'd give almsot anything to have a Kitt like car that could do something like this. Anyone else think it's possible?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If it ever does become possible then the first vehicles to have it will probably be RV motor homes. It might not be true but I've been told that at an average of once per week some old fart will activate the cruise control and go into the back to make a sandwich, and will then take the wrecked RV back to the dealer expecting the dealer to pay for repairs because the RV didn't stay on the road.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It could happen on highways, since those are much more easily controllable

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    There has been a lot of testing in this area, and I think its still cost prohibative. There are thoughts of laying some kind of sensor in the road so the car knows where the lanes and shoulders are. This would also raise a lot of safety concerns too.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I remember seeing a show on TLC or Discovery a few years ago, that had a group of REAL rocket scientists working on ways to improve every day things. Their first assignment was to improve the automatic hand drying blower machine found in resteraunt bathrooms.

I'd love to see these guys really put their minds together to come up with something like this.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

It's already been done.

Articles:
    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/ahs/p...y/cnn/cnn.html
    http://whyfiles.org/044robot/robocar.html