What's new

Can VGA be better than HDMI? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know for a fact that my Vga connection to my monitor looks worlds better than Component hook up(for movies, and video games in HD, and SDVD).

I seriously don't want to shell out $50 for a HDMI cable when I feel it might not even be an improvement.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
HDMI is different than component, so you should see a difference with both VGA and HDMI. But hdmi is digital and vga is optical. Technically hdmi should be better, because there is no converting being done (it stays all-digital) while with vga there has to be some converting because it's optical.
And btw, there are hdmi cables for ten bucks, so you could at least give it a try.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
VGA is, of course, "analog" - not "optical".
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And you can certainly get a quality HDMI cable without payng the idiot prices some companies charge. Try Blue Jeans Cable or RAM Electronics, both HTF advertisers.

HDMI won't necessarily look better than the other connections, though. On my system I can't really tell the difference between component and HDMI, and I always thought VGA looked worse than the other two. YMMV.

Regards,

Joe

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
While VGA can handle HDTV, the selection of resolutions offered by your equipment using VGA might be more limited, such as 640x480 (DVD is 720x480) and 1024x768 (HDTV is 1280x720 or 1920x1080).

Also VGA is not copy protection compliant (HDCP compliant). In the not to distant future equipment will not deliver HDTV quality unless the path all the way to the screen is HDMI with HDCP compliance.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

In addition to those two, monoprice.com has excellent cable prices as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks