What's new

Can unused amplifier outs be used to get some extra performance. (1 Viewer)

NishantB

Auditioning
Hi there,
I have a 7.1 amp and I have them driving 5 speakers right now (2 Full range front, 2 surround and a center). Is there any way I can leverage the 2 unused amp out to biwire my fronts and get some extra juice out of them.

Thanks,
Nishant

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
Sure can...if, your speakers are bi-wireable and if your receiver allows for setting the rear two channels for bi-amping.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Don't know exactly what that means (an amp doesn't know which channel is which, it just amplifies), but if you can bi-amp your speakers, you would run a splitter to 4 amp channels and bi-amp the mains. This should be a slight improvement in power, but will likely not be a night and day difference. If you can bridge two of the channels, you might get a bigger improvement.

What speakers and what amp?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I've seen some receivers that have 7 amps and an A and B main speaker setting, and the B speakers can only be driven if the surround back channels are not set up (as in a 5.1). in which case Nishant can use the B speaker output to bi-amp. I agree that it might not be a night and day difference though

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He said amp, so I didn't want to assume he meant receiver, though that IS probably what he meant. If this is a receiver, you won't be squeezing anything extra out of the receiver by doing this (and you won't be likely to be able to bridge channels either).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If it's a receiver, the process varies with the model.

Here's a a discussion of how to biamp the Denon 3804 for instance.

Disclaimer: I own a considerably less capable setup-- I only came across this article while doing product research. Needless to say, it is not bi-amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks