1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

can u suggest Albums to explore my lighter side

Discussion in 'Music' started by Paul Bartlet, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

I want to find albums I may have missed out on. I'm 36 with my fav. bands being Rolling Stones and Van Halen.
    I have a collection of CD's that is mostly Rock, everything from Beatles to Metallica. My favorite music is the 70's (and very early 80's).
    Every now and then I like to listen to the lighter side of "Rock". I have a few soft rock albums that I play to much because I don't have enough variety. To name of few, Paul McCartney - All my Best / Billy Joel - Glass Houses / Elton John (70's John) Yellow Brick Road / Supertramp - Crime of the Century & Breakfest in America / Styx.

I like Classic albums, I'll give examples, and if anyone could add to it in the "soft rock" category -

Beatles - Sgt Peppers
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    The Who - Who's Next

I'm sure there are some gems out there I'm missing out on. If there is an album you consider soft rock and a classic, please list the name/artist. I need to add some in this category of my collection.
    Also I do have Greatest Hits of Artits mentioned above, but I really do prefer "Albums". Hard to explain, but I wouldn't want "Who's Next" broken up and mixed with other Who tunes. To me, it sounds right being all together as one.

Anyhow, thx in advance for any suggestions. (my wife will thank you as well, as I'll stop killing the same CD's over and over [​IMG] ).

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Frampton's WIND OF CHANGE, maybe somethin' by America...Greatest Hits maybe, Seatrain's S/T, Richie Havens' SINGS BEATLES AND DYLAN, The Thorns S/T, Colleen Sexton's GREATEST FIND, Al Kooper's REKOOPERIZATION, Billy Preston's I WROTE A SIMPLE SONG or Greatest Hits, Marc Benno's MINNOWS....

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I would suggest getting Jimi Hendrix's Axis:Bold As Love it is a much more mellower Jimi. There are three harder songs like Spanish Castle Magic, If 6 Was 9, and the intro EXP but everything else is super smooth and it's not like those 3 songs are bad, they are great songs.

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

The Beatles--Revolver, The Beatles(aka The White Album)

Any other Led Zeppelin album you don't have(II is my favorite)

Yes--90125

Jeff Beck--Blow by Blow

Steve Miller--Fly Like An Eagle

Boston

Any Steely Dan(my favorite is Gaucho

The Doors--L.A. Woman(lots of Blues)

Aerosmith--Toys in the Attic

Eagles--Hotel California

These are not classic rock albums(they might be called Alternative classics), but might be interesting if you want to expand your horizons:

U2--Boy

Peter Gabriel--So

REM--Eponymous(kinda country rock)

The Police--Ghost in the Machine

Foo Fighters--The Colour and the Shape

Radiohead--The Bends

So much music, so little time.

DJ

5. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Chicago- Transit Aurthority and Chicago 2
    Blood, Sweat and Tears- Spinning Wheel
    Dire Strait- Communique, Alchemy, Brothers in Arms
    Moody Blues-(something)? Tuesday or Tuesday (something) ?
    Meat Loaf- Bat Out of Hell
    Fleetwood Mac- Rumors

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Sounds like you like "classic rock", here're my recommendations....

Toto IV
    REO Speedwagon - The Hits
    Journey - Greatest Hits
    Foreigner - 4

Great music. And best of all, women generally like these too.

7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    The Moody Blues album Dave was trying to recall is DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED (which contains the song "Tuesday Afternoon"), a killer album backed by the London Festival Orchestra. From that band I would also recommend A QUESTION OF BALANCE; TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN; SEVENTH SOJURN. I don't think anything by LED ZEPPELIN is going to appeal to your "lighter side," but rather to your heavy metal side. Here are a few suggestions for softer fare:

GERRY RAFFERTY: "CITY TO CITY"
    CAT STEVENS: "TEASER AND THE FIRECAT"
    ABBA: "ARRIVAL"
    PROCOL HARUM: "A SALTY DOG"
    GORDON LIGHTFOOT: 'SUNDOWN"
    BADFINGER: "STRAIGHT UP"
    CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL: "COSMO'S FACTORY"
    THE HOLLIES: "DISTANT LIGHT"
    POCO: "A GOOD FEELING TO KNOW"
    BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST: "VICTIMS OF CIRCUMSTANCE" (IMPORT)
    STRAWBS: "FROM THE WITCHWOOD" (IMPORT)
    DAN FOGELBERG: "THE INNOCENT AGE"
    THE OCTOBER PROJECT: "THE OCTOBER PROJECT"
    SUTHERLAND BROTHERS AND QUIVER "BEAT OF THE STREET" (IMPORT)
    KAYAK: "PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT" (IMPORT)
    VAN MORRISON: "GREATEST HITS VOLS 1 & 2"
    HARRY CHAPIN: "VERITIES AND BALDERDASH"
    PINK FLOYD: "THE DIVISION BELL"

...this list could go on just about indefinitely.

8. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Paul, It sounds like you and I share musical tastes. I have a few suggestions:

America "Homecoming"

Lynyrd Skynyrd "Endangered Species" (kind of a Skynyrd Unplugged)

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over"

James Taylor "Flag"

Santana "Live at the Fillmore"

Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live"

Led Zeppelin III is their "mellow" album, although it still rocks pretty hard.

I like the same bands that you do...Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. The music I've mentioned above is my favorite "mellow" stuff.

Oh, Elton John "Captain Fantastic & Brown Dirt Cowboy"

Dave

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

There are a couple mellower Led Zeppelin albums, Led Zeppelin IV(which you already own) and Houses Of The Holy, HoTH has A LOT of accoustic and I think the hardest is song is No Quarter and it is even that heavy.

Derek And The Domino's - Layla

I don't know what albums(I only have the greatest hits) but these bands are not to nutty, and others might be able to give an album.....

Huey Lewis And The News
    The Allman Brothers
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Bob Segar
    CCR - Willy And The Poor Boys

I still think you should really check out Jimi Hendrix's Axis:Bold As Love along with Houses Of The Holy by Zeppelin.

10. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Paul, You might also check out The Police. They did some very good early stuff... "Regatta De Blanc", "Outlandos D'Amour"... as well as "Synchronicity" later on.

11. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    Great suggestions so far...

Check out some of Heart's stuff, Dog and Butterfly (1978) - starts out with a good funky sound on the "dog" side, then goes mellow for most of the "butterfly" side (that would be first and second half of the CD for that format [​IMG] ) but ends with a great acid-trippin' ender in "Mistral Wind".

Quarterflash's first album (1981) is great too.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - especially Damn the Torpedoes (1979) and Hard Promises (1981)

The Alan Parsons Project - good starts are I, Robot (1977), Turn of a Friendly Card (1980) and Eye in the Sky (1982).

Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls (1985) is a great album, but I couldn't get into his follow-ups.

Any of Pat Benatar's albums up to 1985, but I think Precious Time (1981) was the high point - especially the title track and her cover of "Helter Skelter".

Katrina and the Waves now has their first two Canadian Attic Records releases, Walking on Sunshine (1983) and Katrina and the Waves 2 (1984), on one CD (now titled "Original Recordings 1983-1984") - 20 songs that absolutely rock much better than the 10 they selected and re-recorded for their 1985 American debut on Capitol. The new CD does have bonus tracks beyond those 20 songs though. Still missing in action is the equally comparable mini-LP Shock Horror (1983) on the UK's Aftermath label when they were still just The Waves.

Joel

12. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

thx all, Making a list, checking it twice [​IMG]

I see a fair amount here I'll try and pick up.

I haven't bought CD's in years, as I had everything I wanted. Guess I am getting old, there isn't any new music I really like worth buying. So, here I am looking for albums to buy from the past I may not have given a chance.
    My Speakers had been out of service for while, fixed them last week and playing and enjoying my CD's again.
    It seems as though I keep picking the "soft rock" cd's I own. So I've got to add quite a few more there.

The last CD I bought was Shania Twain (UP!) for my daughter, that I listen to when no ones home :b

Well, I've got quite a few here to choose from. I really need some new music to listen too, thx again.

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Pick up Bruce Cockburns greatest hits. Some great folk-rock from the 80s.

14. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

Few thoughts.
    Why limit yourself to 70s and early 80s releases. There are some excellent discs from the 90s that will appeal to your taste. I have a very similar musical interest. Some of my favorite "Lighter" albums are:

1. Radiohead "OK Computer". This disc would appeal to anyone who is a fan of PF "dark side". Similar style of music (minus about 2 decades of differences). Very mellow. Listen 5 times and you will be hooked.

2. Roger Waters "Amused to Death". Will appeal to anyone who likes PF's 70's albums. This is mostly mellow music with very deep lyrics.

3. Alice In Chains "Jar of Flies". This may be my favorite of all "hard band goes mellow" type of cds. I can listen to this cd everyday till I die and I would never get sick of it. If you like 70s folk rock... this is the 90s version.

4. Robert Plant "Dreamland" (not 90s, released in 2002). Mostly covers, but all very mellow. If you like Zep, you will love this disc. This guys voice gets better and better with age.