What's new

Can two Videocards be on the same computer... (1 Viewer)

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
Need some help...I currently have a MX400 64mb Videocard using the agp slot. I bought an ATI AIW 16mb pci card for it's capture/tv features. Can they both coexist? I'm running WinME on a PentIV 1.6..asus MB.

Thanks

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the OS. I think that XP can support multiple adapters will full features, but I'm not positive on that. I wanted to do the same thing a couple years back, and found out that Windows does support multiple graphics cards for multiple display systems, but that the 2nd card will only function as a standard VGA adapter. This means that all of the capture functionality for the ATI wouldn't work.

Best solution-pick up an ATI TV Wonder (PCI)-it's just a standalone capture board.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It's up to the driver what the 2nd card will support. The standard drivers that come with Windows often don't have multiple monitor support, but work fine if you download OEM drivers.

3D usually only works on your primary card.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
You can't have two AGP cards, obviously, since there's only one slot. But you can have an AGP video card and a PCI video card at the same time just fine. I do it to support dual monitors.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
You should be able to get both cards to run multiple displays, but the AIW capture will only run if its the primary card. You might be able to set the PCI buss and the primary card is your BIOS that might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks