Can Tivo service slow down a DSL line?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott_lb, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I was hoping that you might be able to shed some light on a problem one of my coworkers is having. She has had SBC DSL for about six months now and her internet connection was pretty fast. However, she recently purchased Tivo (which requires a phone line - at least to my understanding) and her DSL slowed down immediately upon installation of the Tivo service. What's going on here, and what option does she have of getting her DSL back up to speed without elimination the Tivo? Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Make sure the Tivo is connected to a filter first, then to the phone jack...

3. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    The TiVo only puts out a call once a day, often during the middle of the night. I doubt it could be slowing her connection down all day and evening long. Does she have a wireless network? If so, she can set the TiVo up to access programming information via her wireless network which would be much faster. She would just have to buy a USB wireless adapter to connect to the back of the TiVo.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I wonder if there could be a possible conflict between the DSL modem and the phone modem in the Tivo? Perhaps they're both competing for the same data line?

Definitely have her look into connecting the Tivo via a LAN connection.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The following is based on the assumption that your friend has a stand-alone TiVo, not a DirecTiVo provided by DirecTV. Those units do not support home networking or USB network adapters.

TiVo's modem, precisely because it is a true MODulator DEModulator, uses analog audio signals to communicate, so it wouldn't be contending with the digital side of the DSL connection. Far more likely is that she doesn't have a DSL line filter on the TiVo connection. Any unfiltered analog device can cause problems in a DSL household unless the service is split at the point where it enters the dwelling on some outlets are made dedicated DSL jacks while others are dedicated analog jacks.

By all means have her get a wireless LAN adpater for the TiVo. Or a wired LAN adapter if the TiVo is in a convenient location to run cat-5 cable. It is worth using the LAN connection just to lose the phone nonsense, not to mentiion all the home networking, TiVo2Go and internet scheduling features it enables. When she can stream audio from her PC, back up programs from TiVo to her hard drive and burn them to DVD and program the TiVo from the office to record a show she's just heard about during the day, she'll wonder how she ever got along without it.

The one thing I regret about going to HD cable and my providers cheapo DVR is losing my mini-network of 3 TiVos and being able to copy programs from one to the other depending on which room I wanted to watch them in, and all the rest of the home networking package. Having three TiVos and three PCs on my network with a mix of wired and wireless LAN adapters never caused any speed problems with my DSL service, and there's no reason that the TiVo itself should be doing so for your friend.

Regards,

Joe

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm not an expert here, so this may not be completely accurate, but if you don't put a filter on a phone jack, will the DSL slow down? I always assumed unfiltered connections would knock the DSL modem offline rather than just slowing it down.

Again, I could be wrong, but just wanted to through it out there.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    P.S.

During the initial installation of the TiVo service the unit downloads an ungodly number of software updates and program data. Most of this come in compressed form and, but it is still time consuming. And because the TiVo networking features are among those most frequently updated, you can't do the initial set-up using them - you must use a phone line. This could possibly be a contributing factor in the first 24 hours or so - but I still think she needs to get a filter.

BTW, she can go to the TiVo website and either order a network adapter (wired or wireless) or get a list of tested and approved adapters that she can buy locally. (Chances are she'll get a better deal at the local Best Buy or CompUSA, but she'll want to make sure she is getting an approved model. Not al LAN adapters - especially Wireless G units - work and play well with TiVo.)

Joe

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I'm going to give the most basic of advice. Unplug the Tivo and see if anything improves. If it doesn't then the Tivo isn't the problem. If it does then the Tivo probably is the problem.

9. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Before i hooked a filter up to my DirecTV with TiVo the receiver could never connect to DirecTV . But my internet had never been affected.

10. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I have Verizon DSL and my TiVo doesn't slow anything down. Perhaps she got some spyware and it just coincidentally occurred at the same time she added the TiVo?

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    I've seen all sorts of odd results from having an unfiltered analog jack on a home DSL system - regardless of the whether or not there was a DVR or other equipment involved. I'm not saying the filter is it, just that it is one possibility and should be checked. But I also agree that the easiest and first test would be to remove the TiVo from the equation and see what happens.

Regards,

Joe