Can This Work?

arftech

Auditioning
Real Name
Al Ferguson
I posted this question on another board but have not recieved any responses. Things that make you go hmm!

Alon, by the way, I'm leaning towards this direction because of an earlier post you helped me with. Thanks!

"I'm in the process of doing some upgrading. Here's an idea that I have but need some input.

What I want to do is use my Audio Research LS3 pre-amp within the new configuration that I've thought about. The plan is to replace my old Sony receiver with perhaps the Denon 3806 as this will be used strictly for video purposes with my Denon 3910.

To put the LS3 in the loop I want to purchase the Rotel RB-1080 and tie that in both the Denon 3806 and and Audio Research LS3. Somehow I want to connect the 3910 into the LS3 and 3806. The 3806 will be used for video purposes while the LS3 will be used for two channel CD audio.

I have never used the LS3 with a quality DVD/CD player and a quality amp. According to some of the reviews, the LS3 was considered a very musical pre-amp.

Is the above scenario something than can work? Am I missing something that was not thought about in this design?

Al

Post number 2 from the same thread:

One of the reasons I want to integrate the AR LS3 into my system is because I want to focus on 2 channel audio for CD playback and from what I understand the LS3 is prety good.

The Rotel 2 channel amp I think would be a pretty good marriage between the two.

The Denon 3806 or 4306 will be used for movies only. I'm thinking the Denon can be tied in between both the Denon and AR because it has multiple outputs.

I want to use my B&W speakers for both systems. How would that possible? Also, the Rotel amp would have to power both the AR and Denon. How would that possible?

Any thoughts?

Al"

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
This is going to be tricky, here's what I would try:

1. DVD-2910 HDMI output -> AVR-3806 HDMI input (for DVD playback and surround)
2. DVD-2910 analog ouput -> Audio Research LS3 CD input (for CD playback)
3. AVR-3806 front pre-outs -> Audio Research LS3 video input (for front speakers in surround)
4. Audio Research LS3 output -> Rotel RB-1080 poweramp
5. Rotel RB-1080 poweramp -> front speakers
6. AVR-3806 center and surrounds channels -> center and surrounds speakers
7. AVR-3806 HDMI output -> TV

Now the tricky part is that volume is controlled on both the AVR-3806 and LS3. Be sure to turn the volume all the way down on the LS3 before you begin.

arftech

Auditioning
Real Name
Al Ferguson
Thanks Alon! Now that sounds like the best way to do it. The key is going to be not having both the LS3 and 3806 on at the same time feeding the Rotel. That potentially would be huge problem!

Like I said earlier two channel audio is important to me and I wonder how this system will sound? From what I understand, the LS3, 3910 and the Rotel amp was highly rated as far as sonics go. Of course all of this depends on how well my speakers integrate into the equation.

Have any of you used AR/Rotel componets together and if you did what was their sonic signature?

The Denon 3806 should do a good job movie wise.

One thing I forgot to mention is my subwoofer. I'm hopeful my sub will have more than one input on the back...can't remember...I'll look when I get home from work today.

Al

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Druiz23