What's new

Can this preview feature be added without draining the system? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
If you check out the following page:
http://www.digitaltheater.com/cfb/in...&CFB=1&forum=4
and then position your mouse over one of the threads without clicking, a box quickly pops up with the first paragraph or so of the thread. This enables you to quickly see if a thread interests you without having to actually enter it.
Any chance of getting that feature here?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brian:

I looked into that before and it was something that I wanted to try but never did find out how to do it. I will have to look into this again.

Parker

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That is way cool!

Trust me...if it can be done, Parker will

find a way to implement it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I now know what I have to do to implement this but that is the question. How to. Stay tuned.

Parker

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Parker,

It looks like you almost had it there...they were some funky things going on with some threads, though. The two things I noticed about your preview boxes were that they didn't always show the very first post, and they didn't show formatted text. Otherwise, it seems you are on the verge of getting it to work.

Brian

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brian:

Yep, just about got it. Now I have to figure out how to strip the vB code and the HTML code and just have the text installed and we should be in business.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brian:

After a lot of errors I think I have this thing done. If you see any problems with it let me know. It will not print out all the information in the post, like images, etc., but it will give your the synopsis that you wanted.

Parker

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just discovered the feature. Wow! and wow again!

This is an extremely handy enhancement!

Cees

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Parker, thanks a lot for this. The only things I've noticed are that some previews show many paragraphs (which is great), while others show less than one line. Also, when I move the mouse on a link, the pop-up disappears after a few seconds and I have to move the mouse off and back onto the link to read the longer messages. Don't know if there's anyway to lengthen the default time the pop-up stays up, but that would be nice.
This thing has already saved me opening 3 different messages with vague headers, such as 'Can you help me find this movie?'. So thanks again. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
George:

I will have to look into the timeout issue with IE. In Opera it stay open until you move the mouse off and in Netscape it doesn't work at all. Oh, well.

Parker

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Thanks a bunch Parker I like it. This could actually save work on the server couldn't it?
Hopefully this will also make it where people don't feel the need for cliffhanger thread titles.
Kevin C. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed this and came to start a thread on it. I assumed it was something you just decided to turn on. Then I find this thread. Good call Brian, great work Packy.
This is a really kick-ass feature. :)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Very cool feature indeed.

I just wanted to add that the timeout before the pop up disappears may not be something one is able to control entirely. Outlook and Word does the same thing, it displays pop ups for only a limited time, so I assume this is the way Microsoft figured pop up's should work. I have to wonder if there is a setting hidden somewhere though.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I love this feature! :emoji_thumbsup:
One minor note is that the preview goes nuts (blinking on and off) when the thread has a long list. I discovered this in the software for trade area.
Edit - I notice now that this is only when the list makes the preview go out of my browser's viewing area. What a great feature! Since I'm on a dialup it's saved me numerous times already when the subject of a thread doesn't really identify what the thread is about. One more :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks