Can this box be improved?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike V, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering if 2 subs that i built a while back, using someone elses design, can be improved upon, or should i start from scratch with new boxes. All opinions would be appreciated.
    The drivers are NHT 1259's
    The box dimensions and specs are as follows:
    21-1/4" cubes, double 3/4 MDF front baffle, limited cross member internal bracing-1 piece(1x3) from corner to corner diagonally on all four sides.
    The cabinets have been glued and screwed and are rock solid.
    The stuffing is about 3lbs of a wool material that was recommended at the time, sorry but i forget what it is called.
    I am a relative newbie at building subs so please be gentle.
    ------------------

2. Tom Fowler

Tom Fowler Auditioning

The boxes look fine - sealed with about 3.5 cF so if you are not seeing resonance problems and you are happy with them, I would leave the boxes alone.
    What are you powering these with? Subamp connected to LFE channel, speaker out with highpass to fronts, etc. It makes a difference as far as what to improve on next.
    Take a set of readings on the sub in room using a radio shack sound level meter (analog about $35) and test tones. From there you can determine if modifying your amp filters, highpass, etc would improve your setup.
    Let face it - what YOU hear and feel is more important than what anechoic response someone else measures and a subwoofers response depends greatly on the room they are in.

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Improved in what way? These are best for music, and right now the cabs are optimized for it.
    You can reduce the volume with bricks or other solid objects down to ~3ft^3 to increase the >50Hz BW a bit, but to get more low octave output requires that you build a ~11-25ft^3! vented cab/driver depending on how low you want to tune it.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

4. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Guys,
    I am going to upgrade the amp that i am using for these, currently a 2 channel Kenwood that is junk, and i just want to be sure the design and volume of the boxes are correct. Provided that the design is correct, i assume better performance can be acheived with a better amp.
    Tom,
    These are currently connected via LFE out to a 2 channel amp, which does need to be upgraded, and then speaker wire to the subs.
    Greg,
    I AM looking for more low output. Am i correct in reading your post that if the interior of the box were smaller i would get lower output? Can't i just remove some stuffing and get the same result? The design currently is supposed to go down to the mid 20Hz range, can they go lower?
    Thanks
    ------------------

5. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

No, I said it will slightly increase output in the BW >50Hz. This will slightly reduce output below F3. Removing stuffing should do the same thing, but to a lesser extent.
    KK never intended it to be a true 'sub' driver, but a woofer for music systems, and it's above average in this application. It's high Qes means that to get decent high output in the lowest octave requires a huge vented cab.
    Since it can't be down/up fired, sonosubs are out, leaving you with a big, relatively expensive, plywood cab (or two). Better to just buy one, or more, drivers designed for sonosub/HT duty.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean