Can the SVS be used on its side?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekF, Nov 13, 2002.

1. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

My modest HT shares a wall with a storage area/crawlspace, so I was wondering if there was any way to build/buy a sub, hide the bulk of it in the crawlspace, and port it into the HT area.

Could I use an SVS for this? Will I be playing a game of hit-and-miss with regard to bass response (i.e. unmovable built-in sub). Would I be better off with a DIY setup?

I appreciate you thoughts and feedback.

Derek

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

An SVS can be layed on its' side, but for that purpose I think you'd be better off with a DIY option. The SVS has the port on the top and the driver on the bottom. Enclosing either on all but one side would be a bad idea.
    Place a sub close to where you see it firing out of the crawl space and see how it sounds. If it sounds good take a look at this site:
    http://www.f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/
    Note the FAQ and install pic links at the top.

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys--that's great feedback!

...but after reading about the optimal layout for an IB sub, the concept may not fit my room.

Jay Hahn's concept may work well...I'll keep digging...

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The placement will be the same for either design right? In that case if one will work the other will work too. My preference would be for the IB.

The issue with the IB will be how well your crawl space will isolate the front and back waves, as well as if the crawl space is big enough. A pair of Tempests needs at least 88ft^3, quad tempest should have 166ft^3. Really either config should have 2.5x that much space.

The Tumult on the other hand costs more and will require more power. But it will require half the space and a pair will more than keep up with 4 Tempests.

If your crawl space is too small, or won't isolate well, then I'd go with the other option.

5. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

I'm learning as I go here, so please forgive the newb questions [​IMG] :
    My crawlspace opens (unfinished studs) into a laundry/utility room, so I've got tons of space, but should the room be as airtight as possible?
    I figured an IB might not work because the faq talks about:

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Basically means you don't want the pressure changes created to the back of the driver interacting with the pressure changes created to the front of the driver. If you operate a sub driver by itself without an enclosure (or seperating wall in the case of a IB) you hear almost nothing as the front and back waves interact and cancel each other.

Doesn't need to be completely air tight. What would be a problem is if the laundry/utitility room had an open path back to the HT. Small leaks between the two spaces aren't something you really have to worry about with an IB install.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the manifold on the front wall close to the left main. But to be sure borrow a sub and place it in front of the wall where the manifold would go. If you like how it sounds the IB will be fine there.