What's new

Can the shiva go LOUD & LOW (1 Viewer)

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Can the shiva subwoofer go as loud as a Theater sub in the cinemas ?
in a 17 foot by 15 foot room ?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that there's any 12" driver which will give "reference" levels in anything but a car, if by "theater levels" you mean 120db down to 20Hz.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Can the shiva subwoofer go as loud as a Theater sub in the cinemas ?
in a 17 foot by 15 foot room ?
====
Not even close. Cinema subs are high efficiency/high power handling, don't go very low, and are stacked/EQ'd to get a solid response to 30Hz. A single JBL sub will average 116dB/rated power in 10kft^3 from 35-120Hz, so it's 1m limit is much higher. HIFI sub drivers OTOH trade efficiency to get the bottom octave.
====
>You should have no problems reaching reference levels..
====
With a single Shiva, you would have to sit ~a meter from it.
====
>.......if by "theater levels" you mean 120db down to 20Hz.
====
Theaters now have similar reference levels as HT, 115dB average in a reverberant sound field, though few have much energy below 30Hz.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote:Theaters now have similar reference levels as HT, 115dB average in a reverberant sound field, though few have much energy below 30Hz.
Ahh. That does bring up a question. When referring to "reference levels" in a ht environment, over what bandwidth is this 115-120db required?

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
The LFE chnl should be 10dB above a single main chnl 20-80Hz (-3dB) which should be 105dB peaks/listening position/20-20kHz (-3dB). If the mains can't do this, then use bass management and add 6dB to the LFE chnl according to Holman Tomlinson, or 121dB peaks/listening position, though other data at the DD website implies that 130dB peaks/listening position would be needed. This means a serious, or serious^2 :), sub if you sit 3-4m away.
GM
------------------

Tyler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help.
So must theater subs can only go down to about 30hz ?
Yes it seems that way when ever i go se a movie the bass is loud and hits dramaticly & sure can rumble.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Unless the theater adds some infrasonic bandpass subs, ~30Hz is it. What you get is tremendous slam in the 60-120Hz BW. Up close, a JBL pro dual 18" sub will rock you back on your heels when you pot it with 800W. :)
GM
------------------

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Greg or anyone that knows, when a theater says it is "thx somethingorother" does it have to play down to a certain level/volume basswize? A lot of screens here are pushing their THX-ness...

Julian Data

Second Unit
Most "THX" theaters I have been to around here in NW PA.. BLOW!
Back home in VA they aren't bad.
------------------

Ben Yang

Grip
I agree with Julian. Most theatres do NOT go as low as a decent home theatre, eventhough they can be very loud. Just saw "knight's tale" in a new digital theatre which boasts state of the art sound and picture, leather stadium seating, beer / wine, real food. Called the club theater at the General cinema in Washington DC. Great seats, great picture, excellent sound quality, but not sure if I heard ANYTHING near 30hz. Deepest bass I could tell was in the 50's. Could be the picture itself, but the sound effects were pretty amazing. My shiva goes very deep and low, even better now that I corrected the phase.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
THX sets dispersion patterns, etc.. Frequency response/loudness is Dolby. Dolby SR-D is 20-20kHz (-3dB), and I imagine very few theaters are setup to do it as it's very costly equipment wise, and requires the theater to be be a stand alone building.
GM
------------------

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Julian,
The Intro to the Mini-Mammouth states that it is inferior to any other subwoofer. Who would want that?!

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
These remind me of the units used at some amusement parks. I liked the big subs bolted to the floor for "Earthquake!".
GM
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Shade,
I was just referring to the motion simulator. :)
I haven't read anything about their sub.
------------------

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Julian,
I was just making a joke about their misprint. I'm sure they meant superior rather than inferior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks