What's new

Can the "lamp" on the DLP sets be replaced by anyone? (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Can the "lamp" on the DLP sets be replaced by anyone, and when I say "anyone" I mean anyone who is not technical incline to fix these units. How often do these DLP units need to have their "lamps" replaced?

Thanks,
orestes

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have myself replaced two on LCD displays.
The replacement time is factored by estimated lifespan of your particular model, they can vary from 1500 to 6000 hrs and individual usage of your product. It is hard on these lamps to cycle the set on/off frequently, expect a reduction in total life if this is your habit.

Easy as pie...I was nervous the first time since I didn't want to damage a 200 dollar replacement bulb. Had no issues. You do not want to touch the bulb itself, on my lamp units this was easy to avoid as the unit is caged, I am assuming the DLP's are similar.

Do read your manual, ...and the instructions which come pkg'd with the lamps which could be modified from the orginal owners manual. Do not forget the cooldown period during replacment...do not unplug your display (instructed on replacements) if the unit has been on...allow the display's internal fan to run its cycle...then unplug the set.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

orestes, check out my digital pics when I replaced my Lamp (Toshiba 56HM195). NOTE: I wrote some INFO next to the digital pics.

Lamp Door

Door removed

Lamp removed

Blown Lamp

Easy process that just requires your time, CSI like white rubber gloves and phillips screwdriver. (optional: microfiber cloth to clean the NEW Lamp Lens before installing).

Phil

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thanks a lot Phil. I guess that no matter what model or brand one buys, the lamp itself come in a cage to make it easier for the owner to install.

I wonder what happened to your set since I believe that the lamp only lasted 570 hours. I thought the lamp should last about 3000 hours, which will be around 3-4 years in my case.

I don't own a DLP at this moment, but hope to upgrade some time next year. I do play lots of video games, and now I wonder which technology is better for video games.

I do like Toshiba since my current HDTV is a Toshiba TW40X81. I am satisfied with this set, but I'd like to pass this set to my daughter who lives with her mom, and then buy either a DLP, LCD or Plasma HDTV unit. I am inclined towards the DLP technology, but I am afraid of that rainbow effect, and that it may affect video games.

Thanks to everyone for his/her input. I really appreciate all your comments.

Regards,
orestes

EricG

Auditioning
i have the 1080p samsung hl-t5676, and i like it except for the fact that the picture bounces when the floor is walked on nearby. but the pic quality is outstanding, no rainbow-effect (for me anyway) clarity is wonderful, especially for sports and video gaming, which has zero-blur effect. my set has a very easy-to-replace bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks