What's new

Can The Lakers Be Beat??(Official 3-Peat Thread) (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, Carlo, to steer this back on course, congratulations to the Lakers from a lifelong Laker-Hating true-blue Kings fan. However the hell people want to interpret the refereeing and talent, the Lakers won, and that can't be taken away from them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think you overestimate my emotional involvement.

You're right, this thread started out "Can the Lakers Be Beat." But that question has been answered (for this year anyway) and if you read back, it became a thread of "congrats to the Lakers." Kind of like at the end of a hard fought series where the teams shake hands, despite having fought hard against one another and verbally and physically jousting on the court.

Bottom line: I have absolutely no problem with proper criticisms!

People say Shaq stays in the key too long: I agree. Call more violations and get him to move his feet! He could stand to lose the weight. And he does commit some offensive fouls, though not nearly as much as some people would have you believe (i.e. on every offensive possession).

But you've said: "The Lakers suck" in your post last page, and then that comment about how since L.A. is a money-maker the league favors Shaq (to which I said the other Big Cities then should have been afforded the same "favor"). That's all I have done, is refute what you've (and others) said. Am I pissed? Nope. Is my heart rate up? Nope. I have quite a few family and friends around the country and have heard plenty of criticism about the L.A. teams I love. When it's warranted, I agree. When it's just people shooting off the cuff about things that may not be accurate or founded on good information, I feel the need to say something.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
the Lakers won, and that can't be taken away from them.
That's one of the things I like about pro sports. In the end, what the scoreboard says is an objective, undeniable fact. I've heard plenty of moaning from, say, former members of the Baltimore Colts about Super Bowl III, but in the end, the scoreboard still said the Jets won, and they have to deal with that now and forever.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And to John, let me say that your team scares the hell out of me.

I happen to agree that Sac got the raw end of the deal in Game 6 (though I also think the Lakers got the raw end in Game 3 was it? when Shaq got 1 FT). The only well officiated game was the last one, where it went to OT. The Kings are RIGHT THERE with the Lakers, and anyone who thinks otherwise might be a little bit too much of a "homer."

The Mike Bibby / White Chocolate trade might go down as the best for that franchise's history. And if the Lakers don't do some creative off-season maneuvering, I look forward to watching your team win next year's NBA finals.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
And if the Lakers don't do some creative off-season maneuvering, I look forward to watching your team win next year's NBA finals.
As long as the owners do the smart thing and hang on to Bibby for a long time to come. I'm really afraid that players like Turkoglu and Christie may end up on the bubble due to poor performance down the stretch. But if Juan Dixon drops down far enough, losing Christie wouldn't bother me as much. But I'm still afraid of a collapse. Being from Kansas City I'm still not used to cheering for a successful dynasty for more than 3 years at a time. ;)
And you're not alone, Carlo. The seat-of-our-pants way the Kings play sometimes, they often scare the hell out of us too.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I read this in the paper. Samaki Walker will return next season. I thought for sure he would be the first one to get dumped. That power foward spot is getting weaker and weaker each year. A.C. Green to Horace Grant to Samaki Walker. Who's next? Howard Williams?!!! :D Phil better do something fast if he wants the streak to continue. Can you say Dennis Rodman? ;)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Ross, how could that possibly bring you pleasure?
Uh.. probably cause I hate Shaq, and seeing him old and feeble and getting pushed around by some young buck, will bring joy to my heart. I'm not wishing him any harm. I'll just laugh if he's still playing in 10 years, and he's barely able to run down the court. The years take their toll on any pro sports player. Most of the time I think it's sad, but it won't be for me in this case.

Go Kings!!

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
Store away that laughter because the only people that will be laughing are us Laker fans. We have been laughing the past 3 years each time the Lakers knock the Kings out of the playoffs, something which doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon. So store away that joy that you will get from laughing at Shaq because it doesn't seem like you will be getting the last laugh anytime soon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ross said:

Uh.. probably cause I hate Shaq, and seeing him old and feeble and getting pushed around by some young buck, will bring joy to my heart.
Sorry, but you need to refocus your energy towards things that are actually important. Something is wrong when a person is hell-bent on seeing someone else fail.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
:D I am back, My computer crashed and so I have been MIA.
All this talk about Shaq is pretty funny. Did they say the same stuff about Wilt Chamberlain? C'mon, Shaq is a phenom. The only thing he doesn't do consistently is free throws, but he sure stepped that up in the conference finals didn't he? When all is said and done he will be regarded as the most dominating player we have ever seen. Just a side note, I think the way Shaq handles himself off court and on speaks volumes about him. Never in trouble with the law, never really shoots his mouth off, and I believe he has a genuine respect for the game and authority. Take a look at Iverson, total disregard for anything but himself. I don't want to ramble, but Shaq is at the same level Jordan was in his prime. He just plays a different position. Enjoy him while you can, he is truly a legend in the making.
and...WAY TO GO LAKERS!! WHOOO HOOO!!!
:D
Four-Peat here we come!!!
later
dan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan said:

Just a side note, I think the way Shaq handles himself off court and on speaks volumes about him. Never in trouble with the law, never really shoots his mouth off, and I believe he has a genuine respect for the game and authority.
Absolutely! Shaq is incredibly humble in interviews. When he was presented with the Playoff MVP Award the other night, he immediately handed it to his teammates. I also liked the what he said about Jason Kidd. Nice touch.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely! Shaq is incredibly humble in interviews. When he was presented with the Playoff MVP Award the other night, he immediately handed it to his teammates. I also liked the what he said about Jason Kidd. Nice touch.
He learned his lessons from Hakeem well :D I didn't watch much basketball this year but congratulations to the Lakers :)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but you need to refocus your energy towards things that are actually important. Something is wrong when a person is hell-bent on seeing someone else fail.
Yeah, wow, it takes so much energy to come here and type out a few lines about how I hate a guy. Wheew... now I'm worn out, I don't think I'll be able to do anything else all day.

Come on, I'm only spouting off a few thoughts on a message board. I've barely even thought about the subject outside this thread.

And hell-bent? I only said I'd be glad when he's old, that's hardly hell-bent. He's got a few years and a few championships left. I'm not really a big NBA fan anyways. I'll go care about another sport until the Lakers stop winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks