Can the HK 520 really do 6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt LB, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Matt LB

Matt LB Auditioning

I am currently using an HK 520 which I am using to power my mains, center, and rears. I am about to purchase a 2 channel amp so that I can do 7.1 I will be reassigning channels so that the added amp will push the mains. Here goes...Can the HK 520 receiver really do 6.1 or 7.1? I know it doesn't really have decoding for it but if you have it in 5.1 DD mode (with a dvd) will a mono signal come from the added side surrounds or will they be silent? If the dvd is DTS encoded, what will happen then? What are my options for making a 6.1 or 7.1 working with this simulated setup?

2. Matt LB

Matt LB Auditioning

Some help for a newbie?

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I have a HK 320 which has the same processing and features as your unit. Yes it can do 7.1 from 2 channel sources and DTS, but not DD 5.1. There is no DD EX decoding on this machine so you'll only get 5.1 from most DD movies and the surround back right and left channels will be silent. If the movie is encoded in DD 2.0 though, you can use either DTS:Neo6, 7 channel stereo, or Logic 7 to get all 7 channels working. You'll know because when you insert the DVD both DD and Dolby Pro Logic II will light up on the display or the speaker display will only show a L & R source. If you have your TV or VCR connected you can definitely get 7.1 with Neo 6, Logic 7 or 7 channel stereo.

Remember, Dolby Pro Logic II is only 5.1, not 6.1 or 7.1.

If you have a DTS ES movie, you get 6 discrete channels of sound, if you have 7 speakers running it will matrix the 6th channel into two surround back channels L & R. If you have a DTS 5.1 movie it takes information for the two rear channels and matrixes them into the surround back L & R. I have my back channels connected to an old amp I had in college and it works fine. I also tried the multi zone option to make sure it works also and it does.

Is it all worth it? Depends on the size of your room.

Remember, you may have to run EZSet again after you add two speakers to recalibrate the settings. And you tell the system thru OSD that you have 6.1/7.1 now.

Have fun. It's a good unit.

4. Matt LB

Matt LB Auditioning

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it....

So, are there a lot of movies encoded in DTS? It sounds like only DTS formats would work with my system if I wanted (matrixed) 6.1 or 7.1 --- or DD 2.0, right? Will they be coming out with more DTS encoded movies or movies that let you choose DD or DTS? Just curious.

I am still trying to decide if it's worth it...I feel like I need a push in one direction or the other! [​IMG]

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Matt, I strongly recommend you spend some time with the HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ. Use the link in my signature. Most of these basic questions are answered there.

M.