What's new

Can the DTS tracks on some DVD-A titles be read by standard DVD players? (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
I currently have a bare-bones DVD player, Toshiba 1600. Could this play the DTS tracks on the DVD-audio discs?

Thanks,

Miles

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
As long as your DVD player can pass a DTS signal. Most or all DVD-A have down-mixed DVD-video soundtracks, like DTS or DD.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the disc, you don't even need a DVD player. :) You must, however, have a DTS receiver, and your CD or DVD player must be connected to that receiver with a digital coax or optical connection. The original DTS CDs will play on a regualar CD player, or a non-DTS DVD player. I found it hard to believe myself, but after listening to two of them in my old player (non-DTS), seeing the DTS indicator on the receiver, and hearing the beautiful surround sound coming from my system, I'll testify to it. Problem is, DTS is re-releasing some of those CDs as DVD-A, so you have to have a DTS capable DVD player to hear the track.
It's hard to tell the difference, but here's what I've noticed: If the label says "DTS Music CD," or "DTS Digital Sound," it will work on a CD or DVD player. If it says "DTS Music Experience," it's DVD-A, and must be played in a DTS capable DVD player. These will have a DTS 5.1 track, a 2.0 track, and an enhanced track for DVD-Audio players.
NP: Porcupine Tree Lightbulb Sun

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks