What's new

Can the Denon 5800 force a DD2.0 signal to Mono? (1 Viewer)

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Hi,
I was watching a really lousy DVD of Charade last night, where the audio (DD 2.0) seemed out of phase such that the dialog emanated from all the speakers instead of from the front center. My Denon AVR-3600 cannot force these to mono such that all the signal comes from the center channel, unfortunately.
Does anyone know if the 5800 can? Although it would kill the stereo effect on music and effects, in certain cases (such as this DVD) it would be preferable to have everything coming from the front center channel.
This would also be useful for Mono DVD's that are encoded as DD 2.0 instead of DD 1.0.
Thanks
Scott
------------------
Scott Barnhart
[email protected]

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I can't answer your specific question, but all of the Dolby Digital 2.0 mono DVDs I have sound perfect when decoded in Pro-Logic. The sound goes to the center channel speaker as it should.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the the newer Denons can superimpose of their DSP's to the DD or DTS signals."Mono Movie" is one such DSP.
I'm familiar with the 3600's shortcoming on this matter.It can only do Direct,and Stereo,when it detects a DD signal,besides "AC-3".
[Edited last by Lewis Besze on July 26, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks