Can surround speakers sound good with a totally different fronts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Perry Jonkheer, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Hello,

I have a small dilemma. I would like to buy some nice floor standing front speakers for my HT (Monitor or Paradigm probably), but the rears are going to have to be rather small. So, this means I am going to have to buy off brands with completely different guts to the speakers. When I say small, something similar to the Bose Acoustimass system comes to mind. However I will not be purchasing anything with a Bose tag on it.

I was thinking about getting something along the lines of Jamo maybe...

My question is, will a setup like this sound "wrong," if that is the right word? I'm just worried my system will not mesh together correctly if I don't buy 5 speakers that are soncially matched. Any and all insight about this is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

It is less then ideal but for HT its not too bad. For DVD-A or SACD its more of an issue. Could you do inwall speakers? Paradigm makes inwalls that might match reasonably well to their monitor line

3. george_k

george_k Agent

I had the same issue living in an appartment were space is limited. I ended up buying a pair of Paradigm Micro's they're rather small but have a very good midrange and even a suprising amount of low-end.

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteP...manceSpecs.htm

In my situation my fronts are made by Athena and the rears by Paradigm, but they sound matched, atleast to my ear.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I am in the same situation. I replaced my L/C/R with new paradigm speakers, but am still using old Kenwood (with 3" drivers) surround speakers. Its really only noticable on some music (dont have hi-rez..just DTS CD's) and is not distracting at all during movies (may be noticable if you movies feature surround-channel dialouge).

Maybe after Xmas I can afford matching surrounds.

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have Definitives for my fronts, a set of Klipsch for my surrounds, and a set of Polk rti 25's for my surround backs. I have yet to noticed a difference in sound for movies. IMO there is no problem mixing brands for HT use.